Anyone Using the Axil GS Extreme 2.0 Earplugs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras61

Nov 13, 2013
    I recently ran across these, the idea is great, electronic hearing protection without stock/cheek interference, but are folks happy with them? Saw one Youtube review that was very positive from a gun enthusiast who's the son of an Audiologist, but online reviews at Cabelas/Bass Pro are very mixed. The only thread and comments I could find here at MS about Axil earbuds was also not great, but is almost 2 years old and I think for an older model.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I can't speak about this exact model, but I bought a lower priced Axil bluetooth capable earplug set and they were complete crap. The external and bluetooth audio sounded like a 40 year old AM radio and one side kept cutting in and out. The switches and controls worked only intermittently.

I still have them somewhere. If I find the box and can identify the model I'll post the info. Based upon the horrible build quality and performance of what should have been a basic entry level model for them, I would personally pass on the brand completely and go with something from Walkers or another brand. Even the low budget Walkers work ok and are fairly well made.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Bought a pair of Ghost Stryke hearing pro/bluetooth earbuds by Axil at Walmart today.

Quality did not look great but thought they would be OK for lawn mowing and listening to phone. No.

They have all the features you would want but very badly implemented. Amplification of ambient sound worked, loud/sharp sounds are muted, phone pairing worked great, advertises 29db noise reduction.

BUT: Constant background hiss at all volume levels, sound cut in and out constantly, sometimes both ears sometimes only right. Touching any controls would sometimes cause a loud buzzing sound. Going back to store ASAP.

Quoting myself. They were the original Axil Ghost Stryke model. I'm guessing the GS in the one you're looking at means they are version 2.0 of the same thing.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I have an older Bluetooth ones as well. They warrantied them twice because the first 2 sets broke. Then the third set they sent me broke and they wouldn't warrantee them. My wife actually got them as a gift and was a part of their original kick starter that started the company.

ras61

Nov 13, 2013
    I have an older Bluetooth ones as well. They warrantied them twice because the first 2 sets broke. Then the third set they sent me broke and they wouldn't warrantee them. My wife actually got them as a gift and was a part of their original kick starter that started the company.
    Yeah, a lot of negative feedback about them, don't understand why Sig is lending their name to their product and sullying their reputation - ?

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I have Axil earbuds. First set had problems and was not up to the hype. I emailed the company and they promptly sent a pair of the 2.0 buds at no charge. They would not confirm my query, but it seemed clear to me that they knew they had a problem with the first issue.

Anyway I am very eased with the 2.0 buds. It did take me a couple of attempts to get the correct size foam 'plug' for my ear canals, but once that was done they have been excellent. One does have to use a size that requires you to roll it to compress the foam before inserting the bud into the ear. And be quick about it as I found that their foam expands back faster than the cheap disposable foam plugs.

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    I have a couple pair and like them a lot. I have used them on handgun and rifle ranges and am happy with their noise reduction once you get the fit figured out as mentioned above. I also use them to listen to books while I cut the grass with the lawn tractor or blow leaves and they work better than my over the ear muffs, possibly because my glasses break the seal of the muffs.

That said, if you crank the volume up too high when using them as active hearing protection you can get a hiss. I have found that when I get to this point in the volume curve anyone talking around me is way too loud anyway.

I had a question about packaging because the first pair I ordered online came in packaging that looked nothing like what was shown on their website. I called customer service and sent theblady some pics. She said yes, they were packaged this way for a retailer and were the real deal. She also offered to replace them if I wanted. I tried them and all was ok. If you got them first ones with the hiss, give them a call and see if they will replace them. Costs you nothing and might get some junk out of your holster drawer.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Per a shooter friend's recomendation I ordered a set of ISOtunes Sport Advance earbuds. Basically similar features/style as the Axil. I've used them only briefly so far but he's been wearing them all year and is happy. Amazon is running them w/ a 20% coupon at the moment making them about $100 delivered.
    Amazon product ASIN B092BQLPJM

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom