AR 15 Newbie Single vs. 2 stage trigger?? What's the difference and advantages or d

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have both, 2-stage is nice because of it's smoothness and low pull weight (3.5 lbs total, 2.1 lbs - first stage, 1.2 lbs - second stage), but from what I hear a properly tweaked single stage can be just as smooth and light - for less $.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, here's how I see it: if you're willing to spend the money (~$200) on a high quality 2-stage trigger and take the time to use it properly, they're pretty phenomenal. I find that once I get in the zone on a 2-stage trigger, I can shoot it about as fast and more accurately than a single stage trigger. The RRA 2-stage trigger (with rounded hammer) is alright, especially as it breaks in, but has known durability issues.

Otherwise, you can get a pretty excellent single-stage trigger with a Spike's Battle Trigger, light JP springs, and mch's trigger adjuster for < $100. There is nothing wrong with a good single-stage trigger! The advantage of a 2-stage is actually very subtle compared to a tuned single-stage trigger, but it's there.

I will say this: the FCG is something you will notice EVERY TIME you shoot your gun. The barrel and the FCG are the two places on your gun where going cheap is a long term mistake. Ask me how I know!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My 4# Timney is a single-stage trigger. I like it, a lot. I have an RRA two-stage trigger. I like it, too. I prefer a single-stage trigger, though. It's more personal preference than anything else.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Thanks for the info. I got in on the May Spikes stripped lower GB and am going to start accumulating parts but I would prefer to buy parts 1 time and not do things 2 or 3 times before it's right. I know what you mean about doing it right the first time. I hate spending money twice!! Especially since I am going to be doing 3 eventually. I might just do 1 single stage and 1, 2 stage just to see the side by side difference. Thanks again. Tom

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can tell you the Geissele SSA-E is very nice, still trying to find a nicely tweaked single-stage to compare it against, compared against a factory FCG and the RRA NMII pack I had, it blew them away easily.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    It really boils down to your intended use. If you are just blasting, it doesn't really matter that much. On the other hand, if you are going to shoot competition, a 2 stage is the way to go. Geiselle is considered the best although it is pricey, Jewel is great in a spacegun, and there is nothing wrong with a tuned two stage from Rock River or Armalite. I own and use all of those and have shot many thousands of rounds on each with no problems. One advantage of the Geiselle or Jewel is that they are adjustable.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I really like the RRA two stage and have them in three of my guns. It's a really nice trigger for $125. I also own a Timney #4 and a Chip McCormick #3, both are single stage and are great for varmint guns.

I have a Spike's single stage Battle Trigger and am not all that impressed with it. There isn't really anything special about it outside of the fact it is Nickel Boron plated which makes it a little smoother but it is still relatively heavy.

I personally believe the trigger is what makes the gun. You can have a crappy commercial grade barrel mated to a Timney trigger and you'll probably shoot it better than a Noveske mated to a heavy, gritty mil-spec trigger.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It really boils down to your intended use. If you are just blasting, it doesn't really matter that much. On the other hand, if you are going to shoot competition, a 2 stage is the way to go. Geiselle is considered the best although it is pricey, Jewel is great in a spacegun, and there is nothing wrong with a tuned two stage from Rock River or Armalite. I own and use all of those and have shot many thousands of rounds on each with no problems. One advantage of the Geiselle or Jewel is that they are adjustable.

not all Geisselle is adjustable. dont know much about jewel so cant comment about them.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I can only say that I really like my RRA two stage trigger, and it was about $25 cheaper at http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ than most other places.

Disclaimer: The ONLY other AR trigger I ever used was the original that came with my CMMG LPK. Which felt like dragging a plow through gravel.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I prefer single stage on my AR and shoot a Wilson Combat TTU MIL/LEO. I particularly like the hard positive reset that the MIL/LEO model of the TTU has. I like my rifle triggers to just break, no take up, no 1st stage, just a apply pressure and reset.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Timney 3# drop in (single stage). The trigger is awesome. Crisp break with little over travel. Contrary to some beliefs it works on military primers.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a RRA with a 2 stage but my Wilson Combat Super Sniper with single stage has the best trigger I've ever used.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    The main advantage of a 2 stage on an AR is to be able to safely have a very light trigger pull for second stage. A single stage has to be a little heavier. It comes down to personal preference and inteded use. I have used RRA and Geisselle match version. Both are nice but there's really no comparision.

I have 2 match rifles, an AR space gun with Geisselle and a tube gun with xtreme mod 22 2 stage. Both set with a 10oz second stage. I have to say like the feel of the Geiselle the best.

I never shot a rifle with any of the nice single stage triggers so I can't give a comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom