• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have been looking at another AR15, the LWRC, and the non-ambi one is a lot lower cost than the ambi one. I shoot righty. Should I consider a non-ambi ? Thoughts?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have been looking at another AR15, the LWRC, and the non-ambi one is a lot lower cost than the ambi one. I shoot righty. Should I consider a non-ambi ? Thoughts?
    I shoot right handed and I’d look at side charger before I’d even think about ambi. If it turns out left controls for mag , bolt or safely might work better for you they’re easy to add.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I love Ambi but with that being said if you don't care non-ambi is fine. A lot of that stuff can be added later maybe not integreated like it belongs say an ambi bolt release or some ambi mag release setups. But ambi safety is easy and fairly cheap, charging handle is fairly cheap. It really comes down to how you are used to operating the rifle. I use BAD lever for the bolt release (ambi-ish bolt release setup), ambi safety, and radian ambi charging handle. I do have few guns with ambi mag release and the really good ones can cost.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's cool, but doesn't really matter. You're highly unlikely to use the rifle lefty unless you train more than most... in which case you could always just train for a standard lower.

I do like radian talon 45 degree ambi safeties and raptor lt charging handles. The ambi safety makes it easy to flip it down with your thumb then back up by straightening your index finger. I use a long lever on the thumb side and short lever on the trigger finger side.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Go with an ambi where the outboard switch is smaller, which means you'll probably need to go 'aftermarket'.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I need to put one on my wife’s target rifle.
    I noticed too much fiddling around to manage the safety before breaking a shot while standing.
    Lots of right left rifle movement when getting a sight picture.
    I told her to not even use it before going into battery but her youngin disagrees/ says otherwise.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Go with an ambi where the outboard switch is smaller, which means you'll probably need to go 'aftermarket'.
    My Daniel Defense had an ambi selector but the outboard side was just as long as the other side. Pissed me off to no end as it would get in the way of my trigger finger so I promptly removed it. I think DD has improved this though.

I am on team "non ambi" for everything, AR's, 1911's, etc. Left Handed people don't matter

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The ambi bolt catch is the best part of the ambi controls. You can lock the bolt back much more easily. The ambi mag release is whatever. I don't like ambi safeties unless the right side safety is very small so it doesn't hit my trigger finger. That said non-ambi is fine if you're a righty. Charging handle is after market so that's an easy fix.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I prefer all my AR's to be the same. So if one gets an ambi safety, the others will need it too. That way I'm not fumbling for a safety lever that isn't there. Same for any other ambi stuff. I'm right-handed, so I haven't bothered with any of it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have never been crazy for ambi chargers. I have several, but I prefer an extended single over an ambi.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are many reasons you may want ambi controls. Some are easy to swap into any lower, some are more useful, and some are designed better than others.

First is the selector, every single AR I own has an ambi short throw, either Radian or Battle arms. Much easier to take off safe with my thumb, and put on safe with my trigger finger. Also pretty much a requirement to put on safe to move, the pop off of safe to shoot lefty around a barricade.

Same with Ambi charging handles, I run Raptors on everything. press checks, mortaring, deflects some gas shooting suppressed, and much easier to lock the bolt back pulling the handle with the right, and pressing the bolt catch with the left.

Bolt catch, they can speed reloads, and are more comfortable shooting from a supported position. Loading single rounds and shooting precision, it is practically a requirement IMO. I like the Mega/Rainier design for a righty that wants to drop the bolt with my trigger finger. The LWRC and a couple others have larger paddle style ambi catches, and I don't like them as well. Ambi bolt catches require a specialty lower unlike selectors and charging handles that can go on anything. You can use a Magpul BAD lever with any lower, but it's bulky and easy to hit inadvertently or snag.

Ambi mag release. Have tried them, but don't use them. Being a righty, I like an extended mag release to hit it with my trigger finger for reloads. I can reload lefty easily enough hitting the release with my support hand thumb, but being righty, I still grab the mag and seat it with my left hand, and orient mags and pouches to grab on my left side. Lefty mag catches can also bump and release on gear when the rifle is slung. There are some that work with any lower, some built in.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    If you can find a good ambi mag release those are nice but the really good ones are north of $100 the clones are ok but require some fitting. Drop the mag with the left and drop the bolt after seating the mag using the left

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom