• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    I have seen folks saying they like the Arken Optics Scopes for what you get for the money. I currently have an SH-4 - 6-24 that I currently use on my 308 bolt action and I like it fairly well. I am going to start participating in an ELR group which for ME means reaching out as far as I can with my current 308 and NOT buying another rifle. I've been told that I MIGHT be able to get to 1300 or 1400 yards with good glass and tuned ammo (reloading). With that being said, I AM willing to upgrade my glass and was considering upgrading to the EP5 6-24. My questions are:

1. Has anyone actually seen the difference in the glass between the SH4 and the EP5? (please note I do NOT have the SH-4J which i think is the latest generation?
    2. Would the EP5 be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade?
    3. If my budget was up to 700, is there a better available option suggested (especially?

My current rifle is a CVA Cascade 308 -22in barrel with a 1:10 twist, 20MOA Rail, Arkep SH4 - 6-24 x 50.
    And while I appreciate all opinions and experiences, at this time i am NOT willing to buy a different rifle. I am not willing (at this time) to pay more than 700 for new glass.
    Thanks in adavance.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have both. I think it’s a big difference. I think my SH4s are fine, but if I were to do it again I’d have all EP5’s. I don’t think you could do any better for 400$ but that was last year when I looked around, so there may be something better out there now for the money. My biggest issue with the SH4 is the tight eyebox. The EP5 has better glass and a better eyebox.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    i have no experience with the sh4 or sh4j. so i cant help with the comparison. but i have an ep5 and it is worth the money. the sh4j is supposed to have the Japanese glass. which i believe is the same that is in the ep5. the 50mm (sh4) vs 56mm(ep5) objective is why the eyebox is more forgiving. the better eyebox is going to help with shooting from unconventional shooting positions. if you are shooting just from prone or off a bench and not competing, the eyebox isn't as important as the upgrade in glass.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Ok Thanks for the repsonse guys. I am about 95% sure I will be going with a new EP5 soon, UNLESS i can find a great deal on a Nightforce for 700:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom