• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmithWesson66

Feb 28, 2009
    Hey Guys,
    I just purchased a SLR-95 on gunbroker. It looks unmodified with the thumbhole stock. Do I need to do anything to legally have this gun in MD? What is the deal with 922r? Am I fine as long as I use a 10 rnd magazine? It is pictured with a 30 rounder looks like. Should I ask him to keep it and send the gun without since I can't have the mag anyway? Excited about my first AK, but hopefully didn't screw the pooch with a gun that will be a problem to own.

Thanks

Attachments

• pix220120880.jpg
      pix220120880.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 481

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Tell him to keep the mag or have it sent to a friend out of state so you can take possession of it. You do not need to do anything short of having it sent to an FFL. 922r usually only applies when you take an imported rifle out of "sporting config" like putting in a hi-cap mag. You'll need six parts to get within compliance if you want to use hi-cap mags.

You can switch out the:
    1)Trigger
    2)Hammer
    3)Disconnector
    4)Pistol grip
    5)Buttstock
    6)Handguards

Or you can just use a US mag(3 parts) so you don't have to change the furniture.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Perfectly legal, you just can't have the 30 round mags.

Have him send them to your dealer as they should be able to swap them out for 20 round or fewer mags, or perhaps give you a store credit if he does not have mags for your gun, since he can resell the 30+ mags out of state.

Here is a good 922R explanation.

http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The rifle comes from the factory with a 5 round magazine. He may still have it, if he's the original owner.

Most comfortable AK stock ever. I now hate pistol grip AKs.

SmithWesson66

Feb 28, 2009
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Any work on what is defined as "high capacity"? I'd like to get a bunch of 20 rounders before the ban, since legal to ship to MD. Are those OK with it in this configuration, or is 10 the max for "sporting config"? Very confusing.

Thanks again

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    The SLR-95 already takes regular AK magazines from the factory. You can get 20 round Tapco or tanker magazines, which are steel. Buy as many as you can before the ban kicks in.

If the seller can replace the 30 with a 20, so much the better. Just to be safe, I would take a dated photo of the 20 round magazines and put it in a safe place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom