• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I know that MD law says you cannot buy, sell, purchase, receive or carry an automatic knife.

Last time i read the Pa law it said you cannot buy, sell, purchase, receive, POSSESS or carry an automatic knife. (one of the few instances where PA law is more restrictive than MD) I was at a gun shop yesterday doing a little Christmas shopping and I saw them selling automatic knifes in PA. How can this be? Do they define automatic knife differently? These were OTF not pushbutton knives.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I know that MD law says you cannot buy, sell, purchase, receive or carry an automatic knife.

Last time i read the Pa law it said you cannot buy, sell, purchase, receive, POSSESS or carry an automatic knife. (one of the few instances where PA law is more restrictive than MD) I was at a gun shop yesterday doing a little Christmas shopping and I saw them selling automatic knifes in PA. How can this be? Do they define automatic knife differently? These were OTF not pushbutton knives.
    PA law on autos changed earlier this year. Legal for sale and possession in PA now. Still not legal to carry. In searching further, It looks like the legislation in question is still pending. It passed the PA house and is still in the senate.

Last edited:

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    PA law on autos changed earlier this year. Legal for sale and possession in PA now. Still not legal to carry. In searching further, It looks like the legislation in question is still pending. It passed the PA house and is still in the senate.So in M

what is the difference between receiving and possessing an automatic knife?
    if you receive it seems you would possess it. Does this only apply to carrying?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    what is the difference between receiving and possessing an automatic knife?
    if you receive it seems you would possess it. Does this only apply to carrying?
    Under the current PA law, nothing - illegal to buy/sell/transfer, possess, or carry.

This is unlike MD, where it's not legal to sell/transfer an automatic knife, but it is legal to possess and open carry (or concealed with HGP) them. Just like standard capacity mags, they can be sold or transferred to you out of state.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Receive means the property transferred ownership within the boundaries of the state. I purchased and received an automatic knife in the state of Arizona where it is legal to do so, and then shipped it to myself in MD. I kept my AZ receipt to serve as proof where the purchase and recipt had taken place. If I had purchased the knife online, it's less than clear whether I receive it when I complete the electronic transaction or when I open the package.

When the magazine capacity ban was passed in MD and before it took affect, mail orders of magazines with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds were taking an inordinate amount of time to deliver. I emailed the company and asked them what would happen to my order ( which I had purchased online and paid for with a CC whose billing address was MD) if the law went into affect before my delivery was complete. They said they would be forced to cancel my order, return the product mid delivery to their warehouse and issue a full refund to my CC.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    To update this, The repeal of PA's auto knife ban(dagger band repealed also) was passed, signed into law, and went into effect Jan 2nd. Before this there was a "loophole" that autos could be kept for curio/relic or "dramatic performance" purposes, and a lot of shops sold Autos to adult customers for years. Now they can be bought from many online vendors that didn't ship to PA before, and buy/carry them without worry being 100% lawful now.

MD shooters PA switchblade ban repeal thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom