• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    What ration of Ballistol to water do you use to clean your handguns? I have the non-aerosol version, which I believe may be thicker than the aerosol version.

Thank you,
    Jim

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I've never used Ballistol as an aerosol, so I can't comment on that. I bought a one gallon can, years ago; and still have most of it left. I understand that a 10/1 ratio with water is about right, but I tend to use a slightly higher concentration to cleanup the corrosive ammo. Got a couple of big spray bottles I keep full to take to the range. One with the water mix, the other is straight Ballistol. Follow it up with some CLP and you're done. (CLP is probably overkill, but meh)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    On the bottle it says for modern smokeless ammo residue use pure Ballistol.
    Mix with water 50/50 for black powder, and 90% water/10% Ballistol for corrosive ammo which is also what Clandestine recommends.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Well, it would be for my M&P9, and I don't shoot corrosive ammo. If I follow the directions and use undiluted, then Ballistol becomes kind of expensive to use for cleaning so I may use Simple Green instead. I have read on other forums that people dilute their Ballistol even for handguns using modern ammo, despite what the directions say. Was curious if anyone does that here as well.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Straight if you're using as a bore cleaner for smokeless ammo. 50/50 for black power, but I tried it, and decided that I liked the hot soapy water method better.

To be honest, I've never found it to be exceptional as a bore cleaner, certainly no better than Breakfree CLP, Hoppe's, or my favorite, M-Pro7.

As a lube and/or preservative though, I like it a lot, especially the way it seems to gel up a bit, but liquify as soon as you touch it. I keep some in a small needle, just as a precision oiler, and I use it from the can to clean and protect the outside of the gun.

Hope this helps.

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Scott's Gunsmith has it, but I don't know how local that is to you, being in NoVA. I think that I used to see it in Gander Mt, if you get down to Fredericksburg.

MH

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I use the 10-1 diluted mix in a spray bottle but I just use it for basic cleaning. I use Wipe-Out for bore cleaning and CLP for lube.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I also have the gallon can. I use it straight, applied to and worked into a rag first. With the exception of black powder bore cleaning, I don't see the point of mixing it with water. If I can help it, the last thing I want on my firearms is water. For general bore cleaning, you'll need more than just Ballistol, especially if you shoot unjacketed lead bullets.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    To be honest, I've never found it to be exceptional as a bore cleaner, certainly no better than Breakfree CLP, Hoppe's, or my favorite, M-Pro7.

A big difference is that Ballistol is safe use to use on the outside of the gun, including wood and painted surfaces. Most alternatives will strip paint, including Hoppe's, and can damage wood and wood finishes.

As a lube and/or preservative though, I like it a lot, especially the way it seems to gel up a bit, but liquify as soon as you touch it. I keep some in a small needle, just as a precision oiler, and I use it from the can to clean and protect the outside of the gun.

Agreed 100%.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I also have the gallon can. I use it straight, applied to and worked into a rag first. With the exception of black powder bore cleaning, I don't see the point of mixing it with water. If I can help it, the last thing I want on my firearms is water. For general bore cleaning, you'll need more than just Ballistol, especially if you shoot unjacketed lead bullets.

In general that's a good philosophy However, when mixed with Ballistol the water evaporates and leaves a protective oil finish without rusting.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't see the point of mixing it with water.

You need to use water/ballistol mix for cleaning corrosive ammo (most military surplus, especially combloc, is corrosive). The corrosive metallic salts used in the primer will remain after a normal cleaning, and rust the metal under whatever preservative (oil, CLP, etc.) is used. The water will dissolve the salt component of the residue, and then the gun can then be cleaned as normal.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

If you can get a tour with a Firearms Manufacturer youll see water being used in their Service Departments. They use Parts washers with a water/chemical mix. They then blow off the water and oil the gun after washing it with brushes.

Water wont hurt your gun if you do it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom