• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Was doing some cleaning in the the top of the barn and found a crudely put together single shot 44cal pistol. Suprisingly in good shape its possibly never been fired. Looks like maybe a mail order kit someone threw together decades ago and long forgotten. Im not much into black powder but im assuming the bh209 and 777 I have on hand are a no go in this thing? I have some percussion caps from a tc hawken I once had that fit and function. Is 3f the best powder to try or will pyrodex suffice? Plan to strap this thing to a 6x6 and touch it off for the first time from a safe distance either way lol.

Attachments

• 20220423_153718.jpg
      20220423_153718.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 237
    • 20220423_153709.jpg
      20220423_153709.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 229

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I think it looks pretty cool , let me know it you want to sell it.
    Looks like you could really let your imagination go to work and carve out a more elegant lower from an exotic wood maybe.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Any markings on it? I searched for old black powder pistol kits but didn't come up with anything but the cap and ball revolvers.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I never seen anything like it.
    I did just find something similar - I'll try to add a link below - fingers crossed.

If the link didn't work try DuckDuckGo with "44 inline blackpowder pistol" and select images. It was a couple of screens down. Unfortunately the Armslist auction no longer exists.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I never seen anything like it.
    I did just find something similar - I'll try to add a link below - fingers crossed.

If the link didn't work try DuckDuckGo with "44 inline blackpowder pistol" and select images. It was a couple of screens down. Unfortunately the Armslist auction no longer exists.
    Thats pretty similar. Same idea slightly diffrent hardware.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    It appears to be an inline target pistol. I do not know a lot about them but have seen the at Black Power pistol matches

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Last edited:

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Definitely a build. There's no reason you can't run Pyrodex, American Pioneer Powder, or Triple 7 in there...just start light and work your way up to an accurate load.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    There’s no difference in the power of 3FG and Pyrodex P when both are loaded volumetrically.

There absolutely is. Run them both over a chrono and I can guarantee you that you will revise your statement. Pyrodex is roughly 72gr by weight per 100gr volumetric...black is almost 1:1. It's not a huge difference, but Pyrodex is absolutely hotter than something like 3f Goex.

SteveFinMD

Mar 21, 2012
    Frederick County
    Was doing some cleaning in the the top of the barn and found a crudely put together single shot 44cal pistol. Suprisingly in good shape its possibly never been fired. Looks like maybe a mail order kit someone threw together decades ago and long forgotten. Im not much into black powder but im assuming the bh209 and 777 I have on hand are a no go in this thing? I have some percussion caps from a tc hawken I once had that fit and function. Is 3f the best powder to try or will pyrodex suffice? Plan to strap this thing to a 6x6 and touch it off for the first time from a safe distance either way lol.
    I don't know where you're located but I have an almost full can of 4f if you would like to try that. Located in Frederick, MD.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I don't know where you're located but I have an almost full can of 4f if you would like to try that. Located in Frederick, MD.
    Mighty kind of you thanks for the offer! Id take you up on it but powdervalley had some smokeless powder In stock yesterday ive been looking for (retumbo) and they aslo had some pyrodex so I have some on the way but thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom