• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Ordering a new Shilen Heavy Barrel for my .308 project. I would like to have some light fluting done on it. Can y'all recommend anyone?

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I was really looking for local since it is not a huge job. I don't have to get it done but would like to. Looking near Waldorf

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I was really looking for local since it is not a huge job. I don't have to get it done but would like to. Looking near Waldorf
    If nothing closer turns up, Engage could probably do it. They are in Rockville though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wouldnt. There is a chance that if the barrel is flawed, the fluting will void the warranty. You need to mount it and shoot it first before modifying a barrel.

Fluting imparts stress on the barrel and if its not from the factory that way, you will have a piece of worthless metal if the barrel didnt shoot well in the first place.

If you buy an unfluted barrel, shoot it first, then get it fluted. Fluting if not done right will ruin a good barrel.

Or buy a barrel from a reputable manufacturer that is already fluted, this will wnsure that if if does not shoot, that it can be returned.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ill also add that unless someone advertises this work, dont let someone do this to your barrel.

This is not joe blow bubbasmithing work.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I wouldnt. There is a chance that if the barrel is flawed, the fluting will void the warranty. You need to mount it and shoot it first before modifying a barrel.

Fluting imparts stress on the barrel and if its not from the factory that way, you will have a piece of worthless metal if the barrel didnt shoot well in the first place.

If you buy an unfluted barrel, shoot it first, then get it fluted. Fluting if not done right will ruin a good barrel.

Or buy a barrel from a reputable manufacturer that is already fluted, this will wnsure that if if does not shoot, that it can be returned.

Can you make some recommendations for fluted barrels?
    The guy that shows up to the HoCo shows, does he sell decent MD compliant fluted barrels?
    thx

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do realize, the fluting a barrel reduces the weight, but it also reduces the stiffness of the barrel. Barrel stiffness is more related to overall mass (weight) than to diameter.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do realize, the fluting a barrel reduces the weight, but it also reduces the stiffness of the barrel. Barrel stiffness is more related to overall mass (weight) than to diameter.

Hmm, then why make an i beam for a building instead of a rod? Cause an ibeam puts the opposite end under stress where the metal can resist tension better.
    Not sure your statement makes sense but I"m not a barrel designer.

K3LAG

True, a fluted barrel will be less stiff than a non-fluted barrel of the same diameter. However, a fluted barrel will be more stiff than a non-fluted barrel of the same weight.

It all depends on what's important to you.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    True, a fluted barrel will be less stiff than a non-fluted barrel of the same diameter. However, a fluted barrel will be more stiff than a non-fluted barrel of the same weight.

Good reply.

This applies to straight fluting. I am not so sure about spiral fluting. I can see it having the potential to "corkscrew" the barrel as the temp changes unless it is symmetrical/balanced about the barrel, but that is just my thinking, not fact at all.

K3LAG

Going back to the original post, the OP said he is ordering a Shilen barrel. Shilen specifically says that fluting voids their warranty. If this is a concern for you I would say don't flute it.

From Shilen's FAQ

What about "fluting" a barrel?
    Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void...

I used a Hart barrel when I built my 700 a couple years ago. They are both good but the Hart was recommended by the smith that blue printed my action.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Going back to the original post, the OP said he is ordering a Shilen barrel. Shilen specifically says that fluting voids their warranty. If this is a concern for you I would say don't flute it.

I used a Hart barrel when I built my 700 a couple years ago. They are both good but the Hart was recommended by the smith that blue printed my action.

I guess y'all are right. I will stick with the Shilen and leave it alone.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

That is not what I have seen stated, by some barrel makers. Some say as you state.

The do cool faster, due to increased surface area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom