• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hey all. I have been a shooter for quite a while but just recently have picked up the desire to try my hand at some competitive shooting.

Today I just picked up the M&P9L CORE with ported barrel. I'm aware this limits the classes I can shoot in, but when I get around to it I will get another barrel and slide.

My main question, is about titanium nitride barrel treatments. I'm getting mixed answers in the Gunsmithing section on whether it's worth it or not. Figured I'd come over to this group and get some input from those who actually shoot competitive.

Second question, I've been told that to really benefit from the porting, that hotter loads are recommended. Is this recommended?

Please feel free to enlighten and educate me. Thanks!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A semi automatic pistol only has a small window to properly cycle and operate in.

Too little powder and it won't cycle at all. Too much powder and it beats the gun to death. And shooting hotter loads will not show a marked improvement in porting/muzzle rise.

Why don't you try shooting the pistol the way it is and see if you like the pistol the way it is.

Especially since you're new to competitive shooting.

Work on the basics and fundamentals first. Then you can work on speed and tweaking things.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Porting is not just for hotter loads. It's like rifle muzzle break.. It keeps the muzzle down for quicker follow shots.

Comp is all about power factors.. The hotter it is.. Power factor is higher.

Some people shoot max power. Their gun is made for it. (38 super etc).

Edit.

Barrel treatment is for the slide wear what not.. Nothing to do with pressure.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I use NATO spec 9x19mm ammo in my open Glock 34 with a ported barrel. NATO spec is about 150-160 PF, something like 124g at 1299 FPS. While not at the power factor of my open STI that normally shoots 124g at about 1440 FPS, those NATO loads still work very well in a ported barrel Glock and should work fine in a ported barrel XDm or M&P 9. I find that the combo keeps the muzzle flip down compared to lighter loads in a non-ported Glock. And it shoots very flat, which is a useful trait in almost any kind of match.

A semi automatic pistol only has a small window to properly cycle and operate in.

Too little powder and it won't cycle at all. Too much powder and it beats the gun to death. And shooting hotter loads will not show a marked improvement in porting/muzzle rise.

Why don't you try shooting the pistol the way it is and see if you like the pistol the way it is.

Especially since you're new to competitive shooting.

Work on the basics and fundamentals first. Then you can work on speed and tweaking things.
    Aside from an Apex trigger kit, I plan to shoot it as is. I just like to plan way ahead for things like this so just figured I'd ask.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Welcome to the world of "Open" shooting. Get ready to learn a bunch...if you want too!

Each porting or "comp" will react differently to various loads. It takes some trial and error to find the proper load for you, depending on what you seek.

In the competitive world (USPSA, Steel Challenge etc.) there is a term/expression - "dot doesn't leave the glass" - meaning the recoil is controlled to where your red dot stays within the glass of the optic, not flipping all over the place. This term is accurate...and not. Grip pressure, weight, timing, etc. have a lot to do with it.

So...what am I saying? Don't get caught up in everything you read or hear. Decide what you are looking for and SAFELY develop a load to meet your needs. There is a ton of load information out there. This forum and the Brian Enos forum is a great start. Folks have been where you are and offer great recipe's and advice. As already stated - PRACTICE is huge!

If you ever need help feel free to PM me. I have a little experience in what we call the "Dark Side"...welcome! :)

Welcome to the world of "Open" shooting. Get ready to learn a bunch...if you want too!

Each porting or "comp" will react differently to various loads. It takes some trial and error to find the proper load for you, depending on what you seek.

In the competitive world (USPSA, Steel Challenge etc.) there is a term/expression - "dot doesn't leave the glass" - meaning the recoil is controlled to where your red dot stays within the glass of the optic, not flipping all over the place. This term is accurate...and not. Grip pressure, weight, timing, etc. have a lot to do with it.

So...what am I saying? Don't get caught up in everything you read or hear. Decide what you are looking for and SAFELY develop a load to meet your needs. There is a ton of load information out there. This forum and the Brian Enos forum is a great start. Folks have been where you are and offer great recipe's and advice. As already stated - PRACTICE is huge!

If you ever need help feel free to PM me. I have a little experience in what we call the "Dark Side"...welcome! :)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom