Battle of the end of life scopes: Trijicon Credo 4-16x50 vs Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Personally I would go with the Vortex, better magnification range, first focal plane reticle, and more usable reticle.

Have a couple of Vortex scopes and they are very good for their price.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Between those two, the Vortex has the edge IMO - like edrod68 said, it's FFP instead of SFP, and with a higher degree of magnification. I don't like the wart on the side of the eyepiece, but there was a time when that scope was pretty highly regarded IIRC.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would find someplace(s) to look through both. See which one has the better glass.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    4x16 T or 6x24 V would be my first consideration depending on what you are planning to use the scope for. For hunting I very rarely go above 6X and am usually around 3-4X since 150+ yards is rare for me in MD. I have been very happy w/ the battery free Trijicon AccuPoint 3x9s. They even replaced the tritium insert free of charge after 12 years. Great company. YMMV

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    These are functionally quite different scopes.
    FFP vs SFP
    4-16X vs 6-24X
    and $600 vs $450
    Why are you choosing between these two???

FWIW, the Vortex mentioned is one of the best deals in scopes available - for the right application. (Yes, I bought one.)

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I suspect the Credo is a higher quality scope. Made in Japan versus the Philippines.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I suspect the Credo is a higher quality scope. Made in Japan versus the Philippines.
    That's what I would think too; ideally would want to look through both as Outrider said.

[EDIT] Also - I REALLY don't need a 24X scope. I don't have a place to shoot it to take full advantage.

Last edited:

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    FFP vs SFP
    4-16X vs 6-24X
    and $600 vs $450

FWIW, the Vortex mentioned is one of the best deals in scopes available - for the right application. (Yes, I bought one.)

I did a search on Euro optics for discontinued models. I used a couple of filters and then looked through the results. These two bubbled to the top.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    FFP vs SFP
    4-16X vs 6-24X

and $600 vs $450

I read details about both FFP and SFP and concluded I didn't care what I got. I read a lot about the Vortex and decided it was the one for me.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    End of life, meaning both scopes are being discontinued and you want to know which to get, or end of the world and you want recommendations moving forward?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I went with the Trijicon red. That's the zoom range I want, the discount is steep, the reputation for the glass seems to be outstanding, and if I don't like it, I can probably sell it for close to what I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom