• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Wonder if anyone might have some insight here....Back when I was active duty military, I bought a Benchmade automatic knife. They sell them to Oregon residents, military, or federal government who are purchasing for official duties. Everyone else is restricted from purchasing from Benchmade.
    Now I own a couple of Benchmades as well as a H&K. I've sent knives in to them before for sharpening, tightening, cleaning, etc-as a matter of fact, my H&K is going out to them on Monday as it's absolutely beat to hell. I want to send my auto in for a servicing but since I'm no longer active military, I don't know if that's such a good idea. A buddy urged me not to send it. He said they would likely keep it since I'm not military. I would hate to lose my knife. I emailed Benchmade but they aren't open on the weekends. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I've been issued a few of these over the years. I prefer the Spyderco Military model.... I find that I can get the blade out faster then the automatics... just saying.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    It is the purchase itself that is limited, not the ownership. You are GTG sending it in to them. I have after I got out, there were no questions asked.

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    Don't send it back yourself.
    Ask someone who is active to do so.
    I've heard stories of people getting them back and others asked for current credentials before repairing/shipping back.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    It is the purchase itself that is limited, not the ownership. You are GTG sending it in to them. I have after I got out, there were no questions asked.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I emailed the company asking if they would make it like new again and send it back. I'll probably wait until I get an official word from them but with a company like Benchmade, I can't imagine they would screw me on it. I've sent several knives back to them over the years and have never had anything other than stellar service for the best knives out there; in my opinion.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Another thought is if you do send it in add you former rank to the return address.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I would definitely make sure first by getting their official word on it. I have heard several anecdotes about guys sending them in and then the company refusing to send them back. However, I have also heard that for sending autos in for repair, you can arrange the ship via an authorized retailer. This allegedly skirts the federal law entirely.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Does anyone have a HARD case, first hand knowledge where they kept YOUR knife?

If not, it's all net rumor.

You own the knife, it's yours. I would be amazed if they had an issue sending back your property.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I use to have 2 of these back in the early 90s . I now wish I hadn't given them away :-(

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Nowadys though....with the stupid political climate in some states....and companies...its not a matter of the company screwing you over...per se....but for some.....its a matter of covering their p's & q's....just to be safe and forgo any harrassment from ANY law enforcement jurisdiction....just wait a few days till you hear back...or have someone active send it in....I would HATE to lose one of my nice knives...even though I do not have many left...hahahaha lost over the years from moving....:-( But to lose it for impatience....that would be something you would kick yourself for a loooooongg time :-)

Good luck...

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    NO. BENCHMADE WILL NOT RETURN YOUR KNIFE.

Benchmade WILL NOT return it. They have a room filled with autos they cannot return. The best way to do it here is to have a Benchmade dealer send it out.

Note: Any automatic knife returned for Warranty or LifeSharpsm service from outside of Oregon must also include either a signed copy of the "Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgement Form", your web account username if you have already accepted the AKO Acknowledgement, or be returned through an authorized Benchmade dealer. No exceptions will be made.

Automatic Knife Opening Acknowledgement Form
    IN COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL STATUTES, Benchmade Knife Company requests that you read carefully the requirements set forth below, and sign this acknowledgement form prior to your purchase or receipt of any automatic opening knife from our company. By placing an order or receiving a Product Service (Lifesharp Service, Lasermark Service, warranty or repair) from us for any automatic opening knife product, you agree that you meet any or all of the following criteria established by Federal law:

Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:
    1. to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;
    2. an active Armed Forces member or employee acting in the performance of his or her duty;
    3. to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or militia of a State, Territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such*knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;
    4. to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of an State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;
    5. to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Benchmade Knife Company will not sell automatic opening knives to any customer unless such sale or receipt of Product Service return is made in compliance with one or more of the above conditions.

(Benchmade Customer/Owner) recognizes and acknowledges that it is our responsibility as the owner, buyer to ascertain and obey all applicable laws (local, state, federal and international) in regard to the possession or purchase of any item from Benchmade Knife Company. We hereby represent and certify that our purchase or ownership of automatic opening knives from Benchmade Knife Company meets one or more of the criteria set forth above and agree to use these knives in connection of duties as described above in sections 1, 2,
    3, 4 and 5.

Signature of Customer/Owner:
    Date:

Angus

Jun 14, 2012
    Lusby, Md
    there is a benchmade Dealer in Calvert County. His shop is at the auction house. Currentyl he is open wed through sunday.4103260641.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I'd be curious where to find actual federal law for knives. Selling them seems to collide only with state and local. Depending on the distributor, some require an official letterhead request,,, others just state that you are expected to abide to state and local laws. :innocent0

Looks like it falls under interstate commerce laws.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I'd be curious where to find actual federal law for knives. Selling them seems to collide only with state and local. Depending on the distributor, some require an official letterhead request,,, others just state that you are expected to abide to state and local laws. :innocent0

Looks like it falls under interstate commerce laws.

The only law at the federal level is US Code Title 15, Chapter 29.
    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title15/pdf/USCODE-2011-title15-chap29.pdf

The actions of knife retainers should in no way ever be given as an accurate interpretation of what the law actually says. Because this chapter has gone largely unenforced for over 30 years except when knives are imported from outside the US, knife retailers seem to vary widely in how they handle sale of autos.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Well I contacted Benchmade via their "contact us" website tool. Over a week now and no reply. I just sent my H&K to them on Monday for lifesharp service. I guess their lack of acknowledgement tells me all I need to know. Kinda sucks they can't be bothered to even reply to me. Oh well...guess I can't expect anyone to provide customer service anymore. Such is life...

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Well I contacted Benchmade via their "contact us" website tool. Over a week now and no reply. I just sent my H&K to them on Monday for lifesharp service. I guess their lack of acknowledgement tells me all I need to know. Kinda sucks they can't be bothered to even reply to me. Oh well...guess I can't expect anyone to provide customer service anymore. Such is life...

That is weird. I contacted them a few weeks ago and did not get a reply, and I've heard the same from two other people. That isn't like Benchmade in the least and makes me wonder if their email system isn't working correctly. Historically, they've been great in reply for email and forum posts. It's one of things they are known best for.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    That is weird. I contacted them a few weeks ago and did not get a reply, and I've heard the same from two other people. That isn't like Benchmade in the least and makes me wonder if their email system isn't working correctly. Historically, they've been great in reply for email and forum posts. It's one of things they are known best for.

Well now I wonder if maybe there is some technical glitch. You're right-it isn't like them. I've owned several of their knives and have sent several in for service and have never had an issue. Always gotten great customer service. Either there are technical issues or maybe the company is under new management??? I don't know...but now I'm curious.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    So just an update...Benchmade made my H&K like new again and sent it back. Also, once they received it, they sent an email letting me know they received it and would sharpen it and send it out in a day or so. Once it left them, they sent an email with a tracking number. Still no reply to my question about the auto. I'm going to call them tomorrow. But still...I would like to have something in writing. Because any flunky could answer the phone. I wish it weren't against the rules to sell/trade autos. I have two sitting in my safe that I never use at all and frankly, I would rather trade/sell for something I would actually use.

Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom