• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Did a search and didn't find much updated info on these. For those who have one how is the felt recoil? Have had some back surgeries so that is an issue. Sold my Beretta 391 Trap and wondering how recoil would compare to that.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    It's going to be lighter (overall weight) than your Beretta, but should actually "feel" less (from what I read).

Last edited:

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've not shot a Super Sport but seriously considered buying one. Bought a Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting. It's got their recoil reducer in the stock and a nice pad and is a pretty soft shooter.

I've read a lot and the concensus is that gas guns shoot lighter than enertia guns. Couple that with the lightweight synthetic stock on the Benelli would lead me to believe you wouldn't be getting a softer shooting gun - but the reverse. But I've not shot one as I said.

You can control recoil by the ammo you shoot, but more importantly, by getting a good gun fit and a top end recoil pad. I had a Jones Adjustor butt plate and a Pachmyr Decelerator pad put on my Browning O/U so I'd get a better fit. Made a big difference in felt recoil.

I hope you find a gun you can enjoy shooting.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I have a Winchester SX3 and my wife a Benelli ultra light. The Winchester is gas operated and needs stronger loads than the Benelli to cycle properly. However the Winchester is heavier and subjective experienced recoil is less with the Winchester. But that might be negated with the heavier SuperSport.

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    I have a Winchester SX3 and my wife a Benelli ultra light. The Winchester is gas operated and needs stronger loads than the Benelli to cycle properly. However the Winchester is heavier and subjective experienced recoil is less with the Winchester. But that might be negated with the heavier SuperSport.

This is interesting. My experience has been the opposite on both fronts. The SX3 requires less to cycle than the Supersport. I have put a few thousand rounds thru my Supersport and have experienced failure to feed with light loads on rare occasions. My son has an SX3 that works with anything. It is a 3" model, but the 3.5" guys claim to have no problems with 7/8 oz loads either.

Everything that we know about shotgun design and recoil would lead you to believe that felt recoil should be worse on the SuperSport, but my experience tells me different. When shooting for fun in a field, I go back and forth between the Benelli and the SX3. There is a noticeable difference in the recoil between the 2 with the Benelli delivering less of a blow to my shoulder. I guess all the overpriced Comfortech gadgetry actually works. I was extremely shocked the first time I shot them back to back. I expected far less recoil from the SX3, but with the factory recoil pad it hammers you pretty good for a gas gun.

To directly address the original questions, the SuperSport is a very comfortable gun to shoot although it does not magically make recoil totally disappear. A Remington 1100 or 11-87 is slightly more enjoyable in this area. I have never shot a 391 so I can't offer much of a comparison there. One thing is for sure, there are more affordable guns that do shoot softer than the SuperSport.

MPS111

Claybirder
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bel Air
    I am not a Bennelli fan. I had the opportunity to shoot a Brilley version Super-Sport at Hopkins. It is one of the sweetest shooting guns I have shot. Recoil was very light and the gun points fast.
    I have shot the SBE II and the Super Vinci.......meh
    It leads me to believe Brilley makes the difference

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    It leads me to believe Brilley makes the difference

So you feel that a Briley choke tube, bolt release and bolt handle affect recoil and swing? The only other thing different on the Performance Shop SuperSport is the trigger job. All the Briley parts add a nice bling factor while the bolt handle and release make things a little more comfortable. You can buy all the same Briley parts for a regular SuperSport, but you can't get them in red. I guess Briley has some sort of agreement with Benelli that they won't sell clone parts and undermine the Performance Shop model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom