• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    Heading out to Berkeley Springs this weekend with the family. We have a cabin close to Sleepy Creek lake. Google tells me the only public range out there is shotgun slug only :tdown:.

My father in law mentions there are other private ranges out there but he doesn't know the names or contacts :lol2:.

FML...

So is anyone aware of any other ranges close to Sleepy Creek lake?

Looking forward to fishing and shooting. We will shoot our handguns on our property. We would prefer the range for our rifles.:party29:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Heading out to Berkeley Springs this weekend with the family. We have a cabin close to Sleepy Creek lake. Google tells me the only public range out there is shotgun slug only :tdown:.

My father in law mentions there are other private ranges out there but he doesn't know the names or contacts :lol2:.

FML...

So is anyone aware of any other ranges close to Sleepy Creek lake?

Looking forward to fishing and shooting. We will shoot our handguns on our property. We would prefer the range for our rifles.:party29:

Not too far from Greenridge and the DNR range.

You could try Tango Down near Hedgesville,Have gone there and are pretty good.
    1391 Allensville Rd. Hedgesville WV. Sleepy creek, only shotgun, no slugs. Site is were old shooting range used to be. (good old day's).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Peacemaker NTC isn't very far from the Sleepy Creek WMA. Check them out. Also for munchies, go to Diddy's Diner or Earth Dog Cafe for some awesome food. I can recommend the pulled pork sammich at EDC and anything on the menu at Diddy's Diner.

Where abouts is the cabin up there? My dad's is in the same area, and I only know of one other Marylander that owns property up there. PM me if you would like to keep it private.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    www.peacemakernational.com as noted above is very close to sleepy creek. it's a membership place but they do have a daily fee, I think $15, for a rifle range that goes to 300 and I think some pistol bays are included in that. they do have shotgun sports that I would suspect are open to non-members for a fee.

sleepy creek range used to be one of our favorite places to go shooting but apparently folks were shooting over the berm and that was hitting houses down the mountain.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    www.peacemakernational.com as noted above is very close to sleepy creek. it's a membership place but they do have a daily fee, I think $15, for a rifle range that goes to 300 and I think some pistol bays are included in that. they do have shotgun sports that I would suspect are open to non-members for a fee.

sleepy creek range used to be one of our favorite places to go shooting but apparently folks were shooting over the berm and that was hitting houses down the mountain.

peacemaker's fee is now $20 just an FYI.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Peacemaker NTC isn't very far from the Sleepy Creek WMA. Check them out. Also for munchies, go to Diddy's Diner or Earth Dog Cafe for some awesome food. I can recommend the pulled pork sammich at EDC and anything on the menu at Diddy's Diner.

Where abouts is the cabin up there? My dad's is in the same area, and I only know of one other Marylander that owns property up there. PM me if you would like to keep it private.

/thread hijack on/
    I know about Earth Dog but where is Diddy's Diner? I get up there all the time as I have family there. been trying to convince the DW to move there but so far no go with her
    /thread hijack off /

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    /thread hijack on/
    I know about Earth Dog but where is Diddy's Diner? I get up there all the time as I have family there. been trying to convince the DW to move there but so far no go with her
    /thread hijack off /

The DW? What is a DW?

495 S Washington St, Berkeley Springs, WV 25411

It was what used to be the Warm Springs Cafe, back in the day. As you are running south on 522, you will pass EDC and just before you get to BSHS (the high school), Diddy's Diner will be on your left.

Street view.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x9ce0e7679964bbcd!6m1!1e1

My dad's house is down off of Rt 13 a ways, so my stomping grounds are Sleepy Creek WMA in the east, Cacapon State Park and the Cacapon River to the west, Reynolds Store VA (where the Liberty Station is in VA on 522) to the south, and Berkeley Springs to the north. Hell, I remember when Dawsons Hardware was right where Earth Dog Cafe is and Dawsons John Deere was in the blue building down in back of EDC.

Many a summer as I was growing up, I'd sit on the shore of a creek and shoot bullfrogs with a 10/22, because I wanted frog legs for dinner. I still go deer hunting up there at my dad's house, every year, to this very day. I already have my vacation locked in, so I'm there for opening day. Opening day is on 11/24/14 and I have every intention of being up there on 11/22, getting everything ready to go hunting Bambi with my dad. I think bear season coincided with the first 2 weeks of deer season this year, too. I know it did last year. :D

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    The DW? What is a DW?

495 S Washington St, Berkeley Springs, WV 25411

It was what used to be the Warm Springs Cafe, back in the day. As you are running south on 522, you will pass EDC and just before you get to BSHS (the high school), Diddy's Diner will be on your left.

Street view.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x9ce0e7679964bbcd!6m1!1e1

My dad's house is down off of Rt 13 a ways, so my stomping grounds are Sleepy Creek WMA in the east, Cacapon State Park and the Cacapon River to the west, Reynolds Store VA (where the Liberty Station is in VA on 522) to the south, and Berkeley Springs to the north. Hell, I remember when Dawsons Hardware was right where Earth Dog Cafe is and Dawsons John Deere was in the blue building down in back of EDC.

Many a summer as I was growing up, I'd sit on the shore of a creek and shoot bullfrogs with a 10/22, because I wanted frog legs for dinner. I still go deer hunting up there at my dad's house, every year, to this very day. I already have my vacation locked in, so I'm there for opening day. Opening day is on 11/24/14 and I have every intention of being up there on 11/22, getting everything ready to go hunting Bambi with my dad. I think bear season coincided with the first 2 weeks of deer season this year, too. I know it did last year. :D

DW = dear wife
    thanks I know where Diddy's is now, I always knew it as Warm Springs, have not eaten there yet since it reopened as Diddy's. I am headed up there this sunday. my parents live off rt 13 also, uncle lives over on Pious Ridge. my family spent almost every Sunday in Sleepy Creek for dinner at my aunt/uncle's house. wife and I both grew up in Hancock, her parents and brother are still there, my parents moved across the river to WV for lower taxes when they retired, I'd like to do the same. I was up in Preston county for opening day last year will prolly be there again this year hopefully. TMI prolly but now you know my roots... lol.

Last edited:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    There is a range called 10X Freedom range. It is on 522S about a mile or two before the Virginia line. There is a small sign on the left. It is right before the sharp left hand turn in the road at the fish hatchery. I don't know anything about this range, I have only seen the sign.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    There is a range called 10X Freedom range. It is on 522S about a mile or two before the Virginia line. There is a small sign on the left. It is right before the sharp left hand turn in the road at the fish hatchery. I don't know anything about this range, I have only seen the sign.

I am going up that way around 7/7/14. I'll do a scouting mission for the membership of MDS.

EDIT: We might have a problem. This article was in the Morgan Messenger and it says the range is a members only kind of place.
    http://www.morganmessenger.com/news/2013-09-18/News/10x_shooting_range_hitting_the_mark.html

Dec 31, 2012

Now you know another. My parents (I co-own) have a place near the old coolfont resort. Not a good setup for much but short range shooting though. :(

I haven't done any hunting around there because it pisses me off that despite owning I would still have to pay hefty out of state fees.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am going up that way around 7/7/14. I'll do a scouting mission for the membership of MDS.

EDIT: We might have a problem. This article was in the Morgan Messenger and it says the range is a members only kind of place.
    http://www.morganmessenger.com/news/2013-09-18/News/10x_shooting_range_hitting_the_mark.html

Ooops, sorry. It is dark when I pass through that way. Their sign is small. If that is mentioned on the sign, I missed. I apologize if I got anyone's hopes up.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    PNTC is a great range to shoot on, especially as a member. The nonmember access is limited to the 50-300yd rifle range and a pistol range directly next to it that offers up to 25yd i believe. the bays and long distance rifle line is only available to members AFAIK. The trap range is available to members and nonmembers (pay per round).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Now you know another. My parents (I co-own) have a place near the old coolfont resort. Not a good setup for much but short range shooting though. :(

I haven't done any hunting around there because it pisses me off that despite owning I would still have to pay hefty out of state fees.

You sure about that guy? Check the DNR regs to be able to hunt on your own property or land that you rent/lease the hunting rights to.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/gen_licenses_not_req.shtm

Also, there is an easy solution to your problem. Get a WV license and be able to buy all the cool toys you want and get a Shall Issue CCW...

The area you co-own in isn't a bad area, my dad is down near the end of Rt 13 (close to Shanghai Road).

EDIT: In the DNR book my dad picks up every year, it states that owners, rentors, leasees of the property do not need a deer hunting license to hunt that property.

Dec 31, 2012
    You sure about that guy? Check the DNR regs to be able to hunt on your own property or land that you rent/lease the hunting rights to.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/gen_licenses_not_req.shtm

Also, there is an easy solution to your problem. Get a WV license and be able to buy all the cool toys you want and get a Shall Issue CCW...

The area you co-own in isn't a bad area, my dad is down near the end of Rt 13 (close to Shanghai Road).

EDIT: In the DNR book my dad picks up every year, it states that owners, rentors, leasees of the property do not need a deer hunting license to hunt that property.

There's too many neighbors in the line of fire. You don't hear that often about WV but that is the situation. Not many safe rifle shots to be had. :(

Any safe hunting would be done off property and require a license at out of state rates. Although a WV license would be possible with a change of residency but I don't technically qualify for that. Would have to switch some names around on utility bills, etc...

Already CCW there with Utah.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    There's too many neighbors in the line of fire. You don't hear that often about WV but that is the situation. Not many safe rifle shots to be had. :(

Any safe hunting would be done off property and require a license at out of state rates. Although a WV license would be possible with a change of residency but I don't technically qualify for that. Would have to switch some names around on utility bills, etc...

Already CCW there with Utah.

Go to the MVA website and see what is required for a drivers license, that can not be used as a federal ID. WV does have the Real ID law and they comply with it, but they have two types of licenses...

Time and money are the only things holding me back. Once I have both of those, I'm crossing over the line. I want an AK and a pistol, and don't want to wait 7 effing days to be able to pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom