Best AK Mags; Most Collectible New AK47; Spare Parts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States
    Hello all.

I'm looking at buying my first AK, chambered in 7.62 x 39, and have Arsenal (stamped or milled receiver SAM 7R) and Zastava M70 on my shortlist.

I should have a budget for two for my collection. What would you recommend (I'm open to other brands, too)?

For AK mags, which are good? How about the MagPul PMag MOE 30-round polymer? US Palm Black Waffle 30 round? Croatian steel mags?

What are the good spare parts to have available for the AK-47 in 7.62x39?

marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States
    Hello all.

I'm looking at buying my first AK, chambered in 7.62 x 39, and have Arsenal (stamped or milled receiver SAM 7R) and Zastava M70 on my shortlist.

I should have a budget for two for my collection. What would you recommend (I'm open to other brands, too)?

For AK mags, which are good? How about the MagPul PMag MOE 30-round polymer? US Palm Black Waffle 30 round? Croatian steel mags and other AK47 Replacement Parts Info?

Thanks in advance!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Bulgarian Circle 10 are considered the best that are easily obtainable. Soviet Bakelite and Russian AK-103 are also at the top, but are expensive.

PMAGs have been reliable for me. I use them as beater range mags since they’re easy to disassemble and wash and are cheap.

Look up reviews of the Croatian steel mags. Those can have issues. If going with steel mags, stick to surplus or maybe the current production Bulgarian ones.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    If you're in Maryland the only AK 7.62x39 rifle derivative that's MD-legal is the FB Radom Beryl.

You can find other AK-style rifles in 5.56 or 5.45 that are MD-legal.

Other than that, any AK pistol is fine so long as it's on the roster.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    This thread depresses me. About ten years ago at the Philly Expo Center King of Prussia gun show a vendor had three tables of Izhmash 30 round, 7.62x39 bakelite mags for sale at maybe $20 each, and only bought three. Ugh.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Bulgarian Circle 10 are considered the best that are easily obtainable. Soviet Bakelite and Russian AK-103 are also at the top, but are expensive.

PMAGs have been reliable for me. I use them as beater range mags since they’re easy to disassemble and wash and are cheap.

Look up reviews of the Croatian steel mags. Those can have issues. If going with steel mags, stick to surplus or maybe the current production Bulgarian ones.

All above mirrors my research back on 2021 when I was where you’re at OP (since added two Zastava M70’s to our early 80’s preban Norinco AKM 47)*

*We also own a Century 7.62x39 that we were warned away from but went ahead and bought anyway only to find out the trunion is deficient defective somehow and the gun really isn’t safe to fire

Hence WE AVOID ANYTHING CENTURY SINCE

I went with a bunch of US Palm and once a group of us t&e’ed twelve of these that we ordered to test, well, they ran so d*mn slick we called global ordnance from right on the firing line and placed an order FOR HUNDREDS to use, as mentioned upthread, as beaters:

(I see they now limit each order to 56. Undoubtedly that is precisely how many they can ship in a specific size carton they have plenty of …)

DGC6262

Jun 18, 2022
    Maryland
    Hello all.

For AK mags, which are good? How about the MagPul PMag MOE 30-round polymer? US Palm Black Waffle 30 round? Croatian steel mags?

Any surplus mag, bakes are great but magpuls work and I love the windowed fab defense mags

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom