• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoccoRP87

Mar 22, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to MDshooters but I've been shooting ever since Army ROTC at age 17. I've come to really respect the AK platform and have recently purchased a K-Var SGL-21.

I am looking to mount a red dot for quick acquisition and low light shooting.
    I am planning to mount via the side mount, possibly on a UTG double rail mount or an RS mount. The thing is, I don't have the cash lying around for any kind of high speed EO Tech or Trijicon.

My question to experienced AK shooters is what is the best red dot for a compromise between quality and affordability? Any suggestions on alternatives to the UTG side mount or RS mount?

Lastly, I do not want to mount on forward of the rear sight. I previously had a Midwest Industries rail system installed and removed it due to the unbalanced weight it added to the front end of the weapon. I also want to use the side mount in case the optics become inoperable and I can return to irons without much trouble.

My apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to post this question or if it has been asked before, like I said, I am new here. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Well for starters you're very vague. You want the best optics you can get, but you don't want to spend a decent amount of money? How much are you trying to spend? Without letting us know what your budget is it's pretty much impossible to give you valid help.

So without knowing how much money you're willing to spend, my advice is to figure out what optics you actually want, and shoot with irons until you can save to get a set of decent optics.

RoccoRP87

Mar 22, 2013
    I didn't specify an amount as I do want to keep an open mind, that said I am not looking to spend more on optics than I did on the rifle. I didn't buy an AK to be a tack driver.

Preferably I would like to keep the cost under $500. If that seems unrealistic I'd happily take that advice. I have shot irons my whole life and will happily continue doing so. I ruled out EO Tech and Trijicon in my initial post due to the cost, though I respect their products.

Thanks for your reply.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Well for starters you're very vague. You want the best optics you can get, but you don't want to spend a decent amount of money? How much are you trying to spend? Without letting us know what your budget is it's pretty much impossible to give you valid help.

So without knowing how much money you're willing to spend, my advice is to figure out what optics you actually want, and shoot with irons until you can save to get a set of decent optics.

I have a KVAR side mount on a Saiga with a Bushnell TRS-25 micro red dot. It's not an Aimpoint but it is a high value RDS. Be careful you don't get something too high or your cheek weld will turn into a chin weld...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLOd1jHz8E

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I just bought an Aimpoint pro (~$400) but haven't received it yet. Its going on an AR. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 ($80) on a handgun and like it but haven't had anything to compare it to. But for $80 its been great.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=421 and a small red dot work great, I'd suggest the Primary Arms MD06 if you want to co-witness. I had one of these on my Arsenal before I foolishly sold it. There's a not so obvious set screw you need to loctite in. Once that's done, you shouldn't have any problems with it.
    +1 This is a nice little unit. It won't break the bank.I'm talking about the PA MD06 RED DOT This is another option http://www.rrcfirearms.com/pd-kashtan-1p78-tactical-combat-scope-ak74.cfm A little pricey and not a Red Dot but true to the AK rifle

RoccoRP87

Mar 22, 2013
    I want to thank everyone for their replies so far.

I think I may be going with the rig fleaman64 recommended, the K-Var side mount with the Bushnell TRS-25. But I am keeping an open mind and appreciate the options you all have presented me.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    I want to thank everyone for their replies so far.

I think I may be going with the rig fleaman64 recommended, the K-Var side mount with the Bushnell TRS-25. But I am keeping an open mind and appreciate the options you all have presented me.

I think I am going with the TRS-25 for my SGL21. I'm going to use the TWS Dog Leg rail to keep the sight low. The Dog Leg rail is a little pricey though. It does give you the option for a rear peep sight for an extra cost and from what I've read it does 1/3 cowitness with smaller RDSs. I think a side mount would put the sight too high. I was also looking at the Ultimak rail but I was worried about the extra weight up front like you were. My eyes also suck so the "scout" set up might not work too well form me.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a Trijicon RX06 with the triangle reticule mounted on my SGL21. It matches the old Russian Kobra red dot sight in shape, and is very well built. Tritium powered means no batteries to worry about, and I love the triangle reticule (you can use the tip for long range precision shots). I have the same reticule on the Trijicon RMR on the PS90. The RX06 tends to run about $400-500 with a mount.

E4RD004.jpg

For a bit less, you can also get a Burris FastFire II on a Samson mount (that replaces the rear sight leaf) for about $300. It isn't as tough and durable as the trijicon, but it is VERY low profile.

P1010596.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A Rakurs or a PK-A Venezuela would be my top two choices if you have a side mount. Both are well under $500. The Rakurs is tritium lit, which is nice.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    A Rakurs or a PK-A Venezuela would be my top two choices if you have a side mount. Both are well under $500. The Rakurs is tritium lit, which is nice.

I've never tried these, but I hear good things abut them. erwos, makes very good recommendations if you want actual Ruski equipment. I've wanted to get one of these myself, but have had other things I needed to spend money on. :D

RoccoRP87

Mar 22, 2013
    I looked at the Trijicon RX06, and having experience with ACOG's I have a soft spot for Trijicon...I just can't justify spending as much on a red dot as I did on the rifle. I may get one to put on my next AR build though.

DarthZed, your Saiga is gorgeous. We have almost the same setup, though I have a fixed NATO length stock for a better cheek weld with my POSP 4x24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom