• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I only have a 223/556 with a reddot right now. I was looking for one upper with more meat to it and a larger, like 30 caliber. Something that can shoot longer range and cast bullets. What are your suggestions.

AR15? Thought about this, but thinking just buying a 10 lower
    - 300 Blackout - Thought about this, but the wife and daughter can be ammo ignorant and the ability to possibly load a 300 in a 223 upper scares me. Plus its just a semi-auto 30-30 and not long ranger unless light bullets and super. Not interested in subsonic and like medium weight bullets
    - 7.62 x 39 - Maybe better, but no sold on but maybe better than above. not sold
    - Grendel and all, fast and flat but smaller calibers. Not sold
    Other ideas? Generally leaning away from the 15 platform for this one.

AR10?
    - Was thinking about just buying another lower and just doing 308
    - Others?

Remember my criteria is cast bullets and ability to shoot longer range with a flatter trajectory. Suggest away!

T. Schuler

MDS Supporter
    Mar 24, 2022
    Howard County
    Based upon your criteria, it seems funny but it appears to me you already talked your self into the AR10 platform with 308. I would agree. Keep it simple. Sometimes brass, primers, and powder are the hardest things to obtain when getting too exotic.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Yeah, AR15 just seems like little bullets for long range and larger bullets short to mid range. The shorter casing limits rounds and fast burning powders and cast probably will not work together from what I have read.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Remember my criteria is cast bullets and ability to shoot longer range with a flatter trajectory. Suggest away!

Suggesting that you do not put two contradictory requirements into the demand:
    - cast bullets work best at moderate velocities and in order to get more energy downrange, you size up caliber and weight
    - flatter trajectory requires more energy and a higher sectional density, something that lead does not usually produce.

Your sweet spot for flat trajectories will be somewhere between 6mm and .30. Anything that can push a bullet of that size to moderate velocities should work. 6.5 Grendel works with cast bullets, preferably with a gas check, 300 Blackout as well. The upper level might be the .338 Whisper.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I got 160 grain for 30-06 and 183 grain or 30-30. like big bullets. The latter works great at 2000fps. Waiting on it to warm up more before shooting the ladder for 30-06. Going to see if I can get it consistent and up to 2600. Or what speed I start loosing accuracy and seeing what I can get with PC, cast bullets. cool weekends and windy days, I got no interest in shooting ladder rounds in a wind swept farm field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom