• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    A buddy and me are looking to hit a few ranges next Friday to check out what's in the area and pick somewhat of a "home" range. Looking this go round for the best range for Skeet/Trap/5 stand, basically clay's in general. Trying not to go far south of Baltimore but north is fine. Can anyone tell me what the good ranges are? Price/availability/environment etc?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've shot for years at Cedar Gun Club in Street, MD (NE Harford County). Haven't been in a bit but it was 5 or 6 bucks for a round of 5 stand. Only downside up there is you can only get 5 stand and 5 stand with doubles/wobble. Still a nice group of older shooters.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I know you said not too far south of Bmore but PG county skeet and trap has everything. Sporting clay, skeet, trap, 5 stand.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Loch Raven Skeet and Trap is just outside of Baltimore. They have Skeet, Trap (wobble and regular) and 5 Stand. Call first to make sure 5 Stand is available when you want to go. Friday's 12-5.

Nice facility, friendly staff, pretty laid back. Not as expansive as PG but unless there is a tournament or other event, I rarely have to wait to shoot. PG can get busy.

I live equal distance between PG and Loch Raven and almost always choose Loch Raven.

http://www.lochravenskeettrap.com

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Loch Raven is a great value. If you are looking for a more premium country club range Pintail Point on the eastern shore is very nice but expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Way North is Oxford gun club in Oxford, PA. They have trap, skeet, 5 stand, and Sporting clays....

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Loch Raven is probably the closest for Skeet/Trap/5 stand. PG would be better if you want to shoot sporting clays or if you want a challenge try International/Bunker Trap.
    If you go to PG try taking the BW Pkwy to Powder Mill exit and go the back way it is much faster.
    Also heard Pintail Point might be closing.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    What field were they running 5-stand? It's been awhile since I've been there. Their wobble trap field is always busy.

It was on the same field as the wobble.

They got rid of 5-stand a few weeks ago but I've seen it set up at the very last field. Then again, it could just be there for storage. I asked Donny and a girl at the counter and so far no one knows why they moved it. Seemed like most of the time 2-3 of the machines were broken so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This is a good resource:

CLAY TARGETS ONLINE

Loch Raven's the best around IMHO. PG has a good rep as does Oxford. I like Hopewell in Stewartstown, PA for nearby SC and 5-stand.

Hopewell is a great small/inexpensive range. havent been there in a couple years, but $4-$5 a round for trap and 5 stand on Thursday evenings, $12 for a round of 50 clays on saturday mornings, and a free round every 10 or so, they have food, and special events like the buddy shoot(2 shooters shoot together at 3 clay spreads)

Further north there is Warrington, open tues-saturday, the club is extremely nice, and pricey at $25 a round. They have live hunts and the best facility around here, gives Pintail point a run for it's money.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Way North is Oxford gun club in Oxford, PA. They have trap, skeet, 5 stand, and Sporting clays....

I belong to Loch Raven and it's great for everything except sporting clays. I joined Oxford and shoot there 2+ times a month on Sundays for their 100 bird SC course. Great range, nice folks, and I can get there in 30 minutes from the Belair exit off I95. Just a bit more than getting to Loch Raven using back roads. Both great places.

<edit> Oxford is also getting ready to open a 22 range as well.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Hopewell F&G-Littlestown Fish and Game-Starview Sportsmen and Oxford Gun Club are all within an hour of Baltimore in southern Pa. and offer reasonable prices for sporting clays-their schedules vary but all have websites showing the schedules-there is someplace to go every weekend. In Md-Mayberry- near Westminster has a limited schedule but they were done for season last month.

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    Thank you all for the suggestions, Loch Raven sounds like a favorite. We will explore a few for sure. Thanks again!!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Hopewell is a great small/inexpensive range. havent been there in a couple years, but $4-$5 a round for trap and 5 stand on Thursday evenings, $12 for a round of 50 clays on saturday mornings, and a free round every 10 or so, they have food, and special events like the buddy shoot(2 shooters shoot together at 3 clay spreads)

Further north there is Warrington, open tues-saturday, the club is extremely nice, and pricey at $25 a round. They have live hunts and the best facility around here, gives Pintail point a run for it's money.

We shot that 3 bird game at hopewell last year and it was a lot of fun. The people there were nice and the food was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom