• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My browser won’t display the article but if I’m reading the screenshot correctly, Bulldog brand is part of this. I just got an email from PSA yesterday for a $199 biometric/keypad vault, single gun, for only $79. Seemed like a good deal, now I’m not so sure.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I also got a recall notice from Amazon for a biometric safe I bought last year during Amazon Prime Day and confirmed the recall by going to the consumer product safety commission website.

I have not set used it yet, so it will be easy to send back to them this weekend. I agree that I should learn from this lesson and buy a Knox Box.

Cal68

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Another reason to buy a Knox Box; made by people who make safes for a living rather than other stuff.

****Yup. I have a bunch of them. I store guns, and other stuff in them. They have Simplex locks that require no batteries, etc..
    They won't keep out a determined burglarizer/robber/etc... but they work well for what they are and at a relatively inexpensive price point.

IMG_9133.jpg

IMG_5569(2).jpg

hamburg.jpg

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I’ve had a Gun Vault box for years in one part of my home that I’d like to replace. It uses a single 9v battery that it goes through in ~6 months even when unopened. There have been a few times when I didn’t replace the battery in time and the bio wouldn’t open the box and I had to go retrieve the key to open (and then replace the battery.). Exactly what I don’t want.

What’s the best “Bio-type” single handgun safe these days? The Fort Knox pistol box?

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I’ve had a Gun Vault box for years in one part of my home that I’d like to replace. It uses a single 9v battery that it goes through in ~6 months even when unopened. There have been a few times when I didn’t replace the battery in time and the bio wouldn’t open the box and I had to go retrieve the key to open (and then replace the battery.). Exactly what I don’t want.

What’s the best “Bio-type” single handgun safe these days? The Fort Knox pistol box?

Bio safes suck, Fort Knox is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Bio safes suck, Fort Knox is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I mis-spoke, my current Gun Vault isn’t a ‘Bio Safe’, it has buttons similar to the Fort Knox however they are electrically operated. The 9v battery life sucks and I want to take all electronics out of the equation. Ordering a couple Fort Knox now.

Thanks.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What a surprise; and the goobers (aka anti-gunowner Democrats) in VA just passed a bill requiring anyone storing a loaded firearm at a home with kids to keep it in a biometric safe (no exceptions for other locking mechanisms).

This is what happens when morons write and pass legislation. Biometric stuff sucks. Get stuff on your fingers? Safe may not open. This stuff is not ready for prime time. I would never trust my life to a biometric lock.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This is what happens when morons write and pass legislation. Biometric stuff sucks. Get stuff on your fingers? Safe may not open. This stuff is not ready for prime time. I would never trust my life to a biometric lock.

****THIS. When I first got into guns I bought a couple of then state of the art biometric safes thinking they would be great, etc... Absolute garbage, super finicky, and the batteries would die in them, with no advance warning and leave you locked out until you got the backup key out, etc.. NOT the best thing to find out not working when you *really* need to get to your gun but you keep hearing the error code as the stupid thing doesn't recognize your finger, or your hands are dirty from delicious BBQ earlier, or whatever.

No way I would trust my life to those biometric locks - they seem cool and high tech - but like biometric guns and such - just another thing to break, a failure point, etc... that could end up being fatal to you as you are locked out from your gun.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Watch a couple dozen of Lockpicking Lawyers early videos and you won't use ANY electronic lock safe or box. Many can be defeated by knocking the keypad or touchpad face off with a hammer (or less) and touching 2 wires together or to a 9 volt battery

pistolsnipe

Aug 28, 2015
    It depends on what you're trying to defend against, but yeah the electronic ones are usually not all that secure

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom