• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have a Dec 1939 MAS-36 (H-block serial number) but the stock is missing the month/year cartouche although the stock serial number matches but the bolt is also mis-matched .

I wasn't really looking for a more "correct" one but I came across an all matching, June 1940 model - made right before the French signed the armistice with Germany on 22 Jun 1940. Couldn't let it pass.

For reasons I can't really explain, this is one of my all time favorites milsurps to shoot. Light, handy and hard hitting. Love the goofy angle of the bolt handle as well.

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 4.55.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 4.55.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 4.54.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 4.55.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 4.55.41 PM.png

Last edited:

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Nice! always regretted not picking one up when they were $300. Decided on the 49/56 instead back then but now i wish i got both.

Now we can actually find 7.5 ammo. Hopefully you can get out and shoot it

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice find! Started selling off some of my pre-war 36s and was shocked at what they bring at auction. Good to see them finally getting interest after decades of languishing in the shadows. Not sure why, maybe Ian's work on YouTube or them showing up in video games, piquing new collectors interest.
    No matter what the reason, it's appreciated. When you realize that during WW2 most major powers were still building and issuing bolt action rifles the MAS doesn't look that behind the times. Initially designed for rear line troops with the intent being to issue the new MAS 1940 semi-auto rifle to the front line starting in 1941. Sadly the Mle 1940 was just starting troop trials in May of 1940 (about 50 built) when the Phony War ended and things went ugly for France all too quickly. Lucky for the Allies that the Germans didn't bother taking the new tooling on hand for the Mle 1940 and put them into production. A much better MBR than any of the semi-auto rifles that the Germans developed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom