• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    ?, Once the approval has been received on an AR with a brace: Can a vertical grip now be added? Can the brace be removed and another type of stock be used?

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    MD law doesn't say anything about pistols and foregrips, so you should be able to add them. A stock can only be added if the weapon is over 29" overall length.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do not add a vertical foregrip to a pistol as that makes an AOW. A $5 tax stamp.

Rifle, SBR, or SBS go for it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    No actual stamp, but Form 1 approval (there is no stamp since no stamp tax was paid).
    That is what does not make sense to me: if Treasury waived the cost over the BATFE amnesty per se, then the stamp should be free.

The stamp proves without a doubt, the NFA item is legal. Anything else will get tied up in bureaucratic red tape.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That is what does not make sense to me: if Treasury waived the cost over the BATFE amnesty per se, then the stamp should be free.

The stamp proves without a doubt, the NFA item is legal. Anything else will get tied up in bureaucratic red tape.
    That's my feeling as well. You basically have an illegally configured gun unless some beaurocrat says your okay. Sketchy.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

There are plenty of NFA items that are perfectly lawful with tax exempt forms and no stamp for a variety of reasons, always have been. Basically any NFA item going to a LEO agency, NFA items being inherited, and those transferred by court order. The stamp is just proof you were required to pay the tax, and did so. The approved form, signature, control number all are proof it is a lawful NFA item. Of course there is the "conditional approval" and "pursuant to ATF final rule 2021R-08F" on the back is really the only concern, in that if the rule is wiped out, it gives some wiggle room for the ATF to rescind all the approved form 1s, but a couple NFA youtube lawyers say that is generally just proof the ATF provides to show they approved as tax exempt, and would be a guaranteed quick loss in courts if they actually tried to do that.

All in all the NFA itself, all the forms, and all this bufoonery just kind of illustrates how fragile the rule of law is. I bought an item lawfully, a government agency changed their mind and declared it unlawful without ex post facto NFA compliance, I completed their form and it was approved. Pretty much if my form 1/4s are no longer valid, and anything I buy has the potential to be declared unlawful down the road, then why try to remain lawful? why not punch 3rd holes in 80%s and call it a day if I am taking the same risk walking into a shop to buy a lawful firearm, following every law, and filing out every form. I have a right to have both, but try to remain peaceful at some expense to fully exercising my rights by following the rules of unconstitutional laws. If the biggest risk to exercising that right is the government, and that risk is essentially the same if I follow their rules or not, I would rather have the most potent weapon I could stamp out to defend myself if they choose to violate my rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom