• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I have a Schmidt Rubin 96/11 that uses a dovetailed front sight. I purchased a taller front sight, but I can't get the old sight to budge. Is there a special technique or trick to get these dovetailed sights to move when they're stuck like this?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You need a sight pusher if its that stuck. I have had good luck with an armorers block and the rifle well supported out to the muzzle. Maybe even back up your rigging with a lead pad to act as a dolly against the strike. Sometimes I use a bronze punch made from a padlock with a long hasp which is not as malleable than brass. Harder raps with a smaller hammer are also not as effective as a heavier one. Make sure it doesn't have a set screw in it and soak a little with kroil.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I don't have any experience with that rifle, but definitely +1 on the thorough search for a set screw. I've struggled to remove sprockets and pulleys only to discover a hidden set screw after the fact:innocent0

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I have a Schmidt Rubin 96/11 that uses a dovetailed front sight. I purchased a taller front sight, but I can't get the old sight to budge. Is there a special technique or trick to get these dovetailed sights to move when they're stuck like this?
    Soak in penetrating oil over night and give it a go again

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Gun Parts Corp indicates a set screw is used as the others suggested. Probably on the front or rear of the sight base if the dovetail crosses the bore. I did a google searchm and did see a dovetail that moved diagonally with the bore. If that is the sight the set screw would most likely be on the side of the sight base. Time for oil and soft tooth brush, perhaps?

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Gun Parts Corp indicates a set screw is used as the others suggested. Probably on the front or rear of the sight base if the dovetail crosses the bore. I did a google searchm and did see a dovetail that moved diagonally with the bore. If that is the sight the set screw would most likely be on the side of the sight base. Time for oil and soft tooth brush, perhaps?

Mike, this is the older 1896/1911 Schmidt Rubin rifle, which does not have the diagonally drifting front sight. It's a simple perpendicular drift. I finally gave up and took it to my gun smith friend and he said it would probably be best to mill this one in half and remove it from the base. We'll do that Tuesday and I should have my other, taller sight by then.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    As you look from behind the rifle dove tailed sights were usually driven in from the left, sometimes the dovetail is narrower to the right. I've run into that issue before.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Mike, this is the older 1896/1911 Schmidt Rubin rifle, which does not have the diagonally drifting front sight. It's a simple perpendicular drift. I finally gave up and took it to my gun smith friend and he said it would probably be best to mill this one in half and remove it from the base. We'll do that Tuesday and I should have my other, taller sight by then.

Cool, it was an education looking up the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom