• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Someone (who shall remain nameless), put an omegagunlock in a BPS incorrectly. This is a plug you put in the chamber and tighten so shells cannot be inserted. Problem is there is a lipped portion that should be placed away from the extractor. If you place it facing the extractor- you get locked out - cannot remove barrel and can’t remove plug by racking. So - can’t slam the butt of the gun - this is a plug. At a loss of how to clear this mess. Drill out from barrel? Disassemble gun? Need help with my new paperweight. Lol (not!). Thanks in advance.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Why can't you remove the barrel? Did you try using a cleaning rod to pop it out? If you didn't tighten the screw it should be able to be pushed out.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Why can't you remove the barrel? Did you try using a cleaning rod to pop it out? If you didn't tighten the screw it should be able to be pushed out.
    If the lock is tight in the chamber, the extractor will be holding the barrel in place via the lock's rim.

It looks like the extractor pivots near the center.
    https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-bps/extractor.html

You may be able to put pressure on the rear of the extractor to rock it back and release the front from the rim of the lock.

You may also be able to use a fine-tip pick to release the extractor by lifting it away from the rim, which probably has the best chance of working.

Failing all that, it may be possible to break the extractor claw off by removing the fire control group (to release the slide latch) and "mortaring" the shotgun, much like an AR-15/M-16. Pull back on the forward grip while "bumping" the buttstock straight down on a padded surface. This would be a 'last resort' sort of thing, due to risk of damaging something else along with the extractor.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I'm looking at my BPS trying to figure out what you did and now I think understand. If you press the pump's release latch or dryfire it the pump should slide back a little. That will unlock the bolt and you might be able to tap it out from the muzzle.
    If not, then you'll have to push the two pins out of the trigger group, pull the trigger group out and then the little block that locks the bolt will slide out and the bolt will drop out.
    If you need help send me a PM. My brothers and I have four BPS's. I've been disassembling them and putting them back together for my brothers when they take them apart for around 45 years. There're a couple common tricks to putting them back together, not hard once you know how. Taking it apart is easy.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Those Omega locks are a scourge.

Do you know if the person who installed it cranked down on it? If they work as poorly as the pistol versions, you can probably mortar the shotgun and eject it. Or, long dowel down the barrel?

Aside from that....maybe a small application of heat gun at the breech or...(thinking outside the box) drop a chunk of dry ice down the barrel will open up the tolerances.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Thank you all for the great advice, much appreciated! After testing to see if acetone dissolved the plastic rings that lock into the barrel on another lock not jammed in the barrel (yes acetone works), I tried out the minimally invasive approach of pulling the extractor away from the lock with a dental pick. YES!!!! Success. There is clearance for it to move. Whew! No heavy machinery or force needed. Thanks again all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom