• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Anyone using this line on a hunting rifle? I recently acquired one new in box on a trade 4.5-14X42 AO. Was thinking of putting it on a 300 WinMag I have. I seem to recall that Burris used to be considered a quality scope, but that was just via conversations over the years. I’ve never had any Burris scopes so I have no firsthand knowledge. Reviews online seem mixed on this line. Wondering if it will withstand the recoil. It looks like I’d need a weaver rail to mount it for eye relief due to the length of the tube.

It does have a “forever” warranty, but that’s of little consequence if it fails when I’m taking aim at the “buck or bull of a lifetime”:D

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Last year I wanted to replaced the Trekker 4-16 scope on my .223 since it was cheap and it was all I could afford at the time. After some research I ended up buying a 4.5-14 Burris Droptine as the reviews seemed decent and Burris has a pretty good reputation. After mounting the scope and shooting 20 times I could not get the gun shot in for the life of me. With the Trekker scope I was getting 1" groups or so at 100 yards, but with the Burris I was getting 3-4-5" groups. I ended up sending the scope back and got a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 scope. With the Vortex I'm back to my 1" groups. I think I was just unlucky and got a bad scope out of the box, but I wasn't willing to try a 2nd one, esp with as hard as ammo is to find.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I haven't had any of the more recent Burris Scopes. But I have 4 older scopes (plus a Pentax - which is a close Burris clone using the same Pentax supplied glass as these older scopes) and they are all very good scopes. No issues at all. Scott (of Scotts Gunsmithing - whom I work for) isn't a fan because he has run into some customer service issues. I never had an issue requiring customer support.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Thanks all, last time I checked here I had no response. I’ve done a little reading online and I think I’ll skip putting it on the 300. Not sure what I’ll use it for, maybe hold it in case I need a spare. I may be going to Idaho next fall (if plans work out) if that’s the case, I’ll spring for a Better scope.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Somebody just sent me a new Burris scope not a drop time some other model with illuminated BDc reticle.
    I did the same thing saving it for something else and used a vx1 for a magnum rifle instead.
    The switch for the battery cover had graduations on it for the reticle but the seemed like they were sticky and didnt actuate the way I expected them too.
    Otherwise it seemed like it was decently constructed.
    No lens covers in the box either so I just stowed it for the time being. The other thing is the overall length was sort of compact which didn’t help either for the orientation of the factory rings supplied by the manufacturer.
    The overall appearance is also very modern in the way it’s constructed so it may come in handy elsewhere and be a better fit for something else.
    3.5x 14 or something like that the magnification range was.
    I would have to look at it again to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom