Can an original Mauser 98 trigger be tuned?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • urbantchr

Jun 22, 2021
    Trying to keep this collector grade, matching numbers beauty original, but the trigger needs work. Is it possible to tune the original trigger without aftermarket parts? If so, who can do it. Not something to attempt on my own. Thanks for any insight.
    20221206_094436.jpg

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The simple answer is, yes. I recommend finding a gunsmith with experience working on them. The trigger improvement can be noticeable, but they can also be ruined if too much material is removed.
    You might try polishing the mating surfaces, first. Helped a lot on the one I have to make it smoother.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    One thing to look for in a Mauser trigger is how the pins fit to both the trigger and sear to the action bottom.
    Sloppy bent worn pins affect pull.
    Also carefully polishing the first and second stage humps on the trigger and recover bottom where they bear against it can help.
    Otherwise Mauser triggers are solid/ safe but not very well known for a ton of improvement opportunities.
    Another check that can be made is sear cocking piece engagement, the buttress threads in the bolt shroud / bolt sleeve sometimes have a bunch of slack in them due to manufacturing tolerances.
    That slack can affect cocking piece, sear ledge engagement when it’s accumulative.

With a pristine example,remedying that sort of thing may be best left to another rifle or more undesirable candidate like an already altered example because a bolt swap could be involved.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a K98 sporter that had the original trigger, and I made a point to put in a Timney. What a HUGE difference. I'm glad that I wasn't bound to trying to keep the rifle original. If you want a really nice shooting rifle, IMO a stock M98 isn't the way to go, so if I had one, I'd likely just leave it alone and deal with the shortcomings of the trigger when shooting it for the novelty of it.

urbantchr

Jun 22, 2021
    Trying to keep this collector grade, matching numbers beauty original, but the trigger needs work. Is it possible to tune the original trigger without aftermarket parts? If so, who can do it. Not something to attempt on my own. Thanks for any insight. View attachment 391000
    Thanks all for the great advice. For sure it is too nice to mess with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom