Can I sell this handgun in Virginia and don't violate Maryland gun law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As a point of law, ( I am not a Lawyer) as I understand it there is no reason a Maryland FFL would not be able to ship magazines over 10 rounds out of the state if they sold the gun outside Maryland. I know many Maryland based FFL's and was one for several years. If anyone disagrees please post a link showing just one prosecution and conviction for doing so.

Yup , no reason a Md Based FFL couldn't sell a gun with 10+ rd mag(s) to out of state , if legal in destination jurisdiction .

But that's not the typical controversy .

Scenario : Md FFL has gun & normal mag(s) for sale in shop . Maryland buy purchases gun for full price with no magazine(s) , and FFL then ships " Free Magazine(s) " out of state address , that happens to be a friend or relative of Maryland buyer .

Legal or Not ? It was debated here for years , and maybe/ maybe not . FSA 13 is ambiguous on this and , and no case law . FWIW . MSP advises No Bueno , but we know their track record .

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    How many times are we going to rehash this question? Transfer to an out of state buyer is entirely legal if permitted in the buyers state. And also write, 100 times, “must go thru FFL” so you don’t forget!
    Until we make the MGA thoroughly aware a current mag laws and give them a firm blue print of how to completely ban all mags over 2 rounds.

We realy need to have a MDS "Meet-up" with a veiwing of "Fight Club"

Last edited:

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I will be summarily corrected if wrong, but you can not place an ad for a "large" capacity magazine in Maryland, because you can not buy, sell, trade, or give away any magazine over 10 rounds in Maryland.
    I just found I have one 10 rounds magazine for this gun, maryland gun law only bans large magazine not ban the gun, so I already reopened my ad in classifieds.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Until we make the MGA thoroughly aware a current mag laws and give them a firm blue print of how to completely ban all mags over 2 rounds.

We realy need to have a MDS "Meet-up" with a veiwing of "Fight Club"
    You know what tomorrow is......

ChesterW8

Mar 31, 2023
    Washington DC
    I was in a similar situation. I bought a PCC Carbine in Virginia but I live in DC. So they were not allowed to give me the magazines that came with it because they were over 10 rounds.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    How many times are we going to rehash this question? Transfer to an out of state buyer is entirely legal if permitted in the buyers state. And also write, 100 times, “must go thru FFL” so you don’t forget!
    ^^THIS. I suspect we'll have to rehash the question as long as it continues to be asked and the askers are too lazy or intellectually unable to do a Search

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    from my understanding is you can sell your gun without the mag, however, you can sell it to him, in Virginia. Get a bill of sale and get it notarized just incase to proof the transaction was done in Virginia, not Maryland. Then the buyer can bring it into Maryland as he pleases.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    from my understanding is you can sell your gun without the mag, however, you can sell it to him, in Virginia. Get a bill of sale and get it notarized just incase to proof the transaction was done in Virginia, not Maryland. Then the buyer can bring it into Maryland as he pleases.
    Sell what to him in VA? The mag or the gun?

If you are talking about the mag, put down the keyboard and attend to your BGOS. No need to get a bill of sale or get it notarized on top of it.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Sell gun in Maryland with no mags. Plenty of good lunch spots just over the border in VA. Have lunch with bud and forget your cash. Give him some mags your have in your car for covering the bill.

Mag sales in VA don't need to go through FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom