Cans? Not suppressors but forward focused muzzle device.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    They are hard to search for because most of the choices are about suppressors.

A can on a 10.5 barrel looks tacticool. But they add about 2 inches to the overall length. Are they worth while over a regular bird cadge.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Search blast cans or flash cans and you should find what you are looking for.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    They are hard to search for because most of the choices are about suppressors.

A can on a 10.5 barrel looks tacticool. But they add about 2 inches to the overall length. Are they worth while over a regular bird cadge.
    They shoot more noise forward. Instead of muzzle compensation, the muzzle energy gets pushed more towards your shoulder. More recoil overall I imagine. Save up and get a real can, I'd say.

May 13, 2005
    Noveske Flaming Pig is my preferred device. Great for eliminating flash, increases back pressure for short barrels and is fairly decent as a brake.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I have a couple of KAK flash cans. They add more length than linear compensator but are equally effective at pushing noise/muzzle blast forward. Much less irritating to others at the range than SBRs with muzzle brakes.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Noveske Flaming Pig is my preferred device. Great for eliminating flash, increases back pressure for short barrels and is fairly decent as a brake.
    I have the Noveske on my 7.5" AR pistol range toy. At close quarters, even if you miss the target you still stand a good chance of giving them a good scorching.

(not me)
    fb.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's not either or, I have linear comps/flash cans AND suppressors, in fact I have a couple suppressor mounts that are linear comps, and brakes that have an adapter for a flash can, they all serve different purposes.

IMO they don't really cut recoil any better than flash hiders, and far less effective than a comp, but they do make firearms MUCH more comfortable to fire, especially indoors.

I use them to make up length for barrels that are shorter than handguards. Have a couple SBRs where a linear comp is needed to shoot unsuppressed, on an AR9 SBR I use a 3 lug mounted flash can being the muzzle is several inches inside the handguards, and it allows me to shoot it without the suppressor mounted. I use KVP or KAK cans as thread protectors to fire some 22s without a can, same deal small barrel, longer handguard.

I use linear comps for tactical rifles, far more comfortable in a carbine class unsuppressed, and recoil isn't as much of a concern as it is with competition rifles. Suppressors also have downsides, and sometimes I run unsuppressed in carbine classes. Linear comps are much more user friendly, les gas blowback, simpler gas tuning, no smoking hot can to burn me when slinging a rifle etc.

I LOVE modular blast shields, have a griffin 2 port brake on a couple competition builds, very effective recoil reduction when running a 3 gun course, but it's obnoxious when drilling or sighting in at a range. I can just screw their flash can on over the brake, and poof, it's comfortable to shoot, and no need to tune for the far greater backpressure of a suppressor.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Found my PWS. I got this along with a number of other PWS muzzle devices, bag, buffer tubes from a promotion/drawing some years back

Looks just like this:https://www.primaryweapons.com/cqb-compensator-556-1-2x28/

I've never used it due to weight; the one I have feels a lot heavier than 7oz's that's in the link, but the advertised weight is likely right. I prefer light weight so I never used it.

This thread got me thinking and here is a vid FWIW:

Designated as a flash hider; illegal on CA firearms. :mad54:

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    This was my journey:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/linear-comp-for-ar.247642/
    I'm pretty sure it's still the Kak on my rifle. It does what I wanted it to do, without screwing up my group size or poi. I haven't been made fun of for it looking stupid. (At least, not that I've heard :o )
    Art I have something to tell you about what everyone has been saying about your rifle, you might want to sit down for this. Just kidding :lol2:

Seriously though what is the difference between a flash can and a linear comp? Is there a performance difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom