• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone know if there is any online information about Carroll county parks for hunting/CWMA's? I've noticed a couple have signs mentioning they are closed certain days during the hunting season for the cooperative wildlife management program. I can find zero information about them and they aren't listed at all for needing a reservation (or at all). I see a phone number to call is the Gwynn brook office. Stupid question, anyone have any ideas? I guess just call them. The CMWA says it is closed only on certain days for hunting. I am guessing this is an instance where if I have the free hunting permit for central MD I can hunt there, no reservation needed, on the days it is closed for hunting.

Thanks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, never mind. The CWMA has a different name than the county park. That is why I couldn't find anything. Reservations needed. Sigh. Well, at least in archery season that probably won't be too hard to get. It is call 3 days in advance still for reservations, right?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Oh, never mind. The CWMA has a different name than the county park. That is why I couldn't find anything. Reservations needed. Sigh. Well, at least in archery season that probably won't be too hard to get. It is call 3 days in advance still for reservations, right?
    Up to 8 days in advance. One reservation on the books for one property per 8 days. You can get a spot for up to 8 different properties all at the same time, but only 1 at a time for the same property/area. Hunting the same tree 2 days in a row is nearly impossible (iirc they let you call 24 hrs in advance and they’ll give you another reservation as long as it’s open/available).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Up to 8 days in advance. One reservation on the books for one property per 8 days. You can get a spot for up to 8 different properties all at the same time, but only 1 at a time for the same property/area. Hunting the same tree 2 days in a row is nearly impossible (iirc they let you call 24 hrs in advance and they’ll give you another reservation as long as it’s open/available).
    Dang. So if I get a reservation, say, 8 days out, I can’t call the next day to get a reservation 8 days out for the same property?

So I can’t book a Monday and then call back the next day to reserve for Tuesday? I’d actually have to wait till my Monday reservation and then call and see if the next day happens to be open?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Dang. So if I get a reservation, say, 8 days out, I can’t call the next day to get a reservation 8 days out for the same property?

So I can’t book a Monday and then call back the next day to reserve for Tuesday? I’d actually have to wait till my Monday reservation and then call and see if the next day happens to be open?
    That’s correct. It’s possible to hunt the same property two days in a row, but not very easy to do. Not fun during times like the rut, when you finally get that big boy patterned and you can’t come back tomorrow to go after him.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have made multiple reservations for gwynnbrook with 1 phone call. Also made same day reservations in the morning for that afternoon. They seem very reasonable

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have made multiple reservations for gwynnbrook with 1 phone call. Also made same day reservations in the morning for that afternoon. They seem very reasonable
    Multiple reservations for the same property at one time? Unpossible, that’s like rule # 1 in the book, unless within 24 hrs like I said. Same day morning to afternoon, for sure.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I've hunted Woodbrook and called and gotten in the next day if space was available.
    Maybe the requirements for time have changed.
    NOTE: They are only in the office for phones in the morning I believe.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I've hunted Woodbrook and called and gotten in the next day if space was available.
    Yes, the next day would qualify as “within 24 hrs”. This is the way.

And yes....7:30 until 11:30 only for phone reservations, they used to also accept walk-ins at the Gwynbrook office but I’m not sure if they still allow that. Plenty of busy signals in your ear when calling too. Like I said, it’s possible to do, just not at all easy to do.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md

And yes....7:30 until 11:30 only for phone reservations, they used to also accept walk-ins at the Gwynbrook office but I’m not sure if they still allow that. Plenty of busy signals in your ear when calling too. Like I said, it’s possible to do, just not at all easy to do.
    Gwynnbrook takes walkins--done it many times--leaving from morning hunt at 11 am and booking for next day or two later---also dont call first thing a m you will get busy signal--wait til 9am and usually goes right thru. I hunt at Gwynnbrook a lot--its nearby me and convenient during the week--also its generally empty

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

Gwynnbrook takes walkins--done it many times--leaving from morning hunt at 11 am and booking for next day or two later---also dont call first thing a m you will get busy signal--wait til 9am and usually goes right thru. I hunt at Gwynnbrook a lot--its nearby me and convenient during the week--also its generally empty
    They have a queue system now. No more busy signal, you just wait until your turn. Be warned though: It'll tell you the wait time is 4 minutes but it's really more like 30 on the busy days.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Good to know. My father used to get most of our reservations via walk-in, but passed away last August so I wasn’t sure if they still did that.

I’ve never hunted Gwynnbrook but have always wanted to. I grew up right around the corner from there, and later also worked nearby for 15 years. I almost never drove by without seeing deer standing in Gwynnbrook Ave or in adjacent yards all times of the day.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That is one of the ones I am looking at. I am moving close by. Decent hunting there? The property looks promising, but I haven’t scouted it. Just driving by.

Probably mostly just archery season hunting.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Oh they are there. We used to live on gillis falls near 94 and it was so convenient.
    Would take the dogs and kids for walks off Grimville.
    Scared up an Emu one time. No shit. :eek:
    Good luck when you go.
    Plenty of squirrel and turkey also. The fields surrounding are full of corn or beans.
    I'm sure it will be one of the fattest around.
    You can go in off the equestrian fields also. (don't know about with guns?)

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That is one of the ones I am looking at. I am moving close by. Decent hunting there? The property looks promising, but I haven’t scouted it. Just driving by.

Probably mostly just archery season hunting.
    IIRC, that is listed as archery only. Also IIRC, they publish the harvest report every year and for that area the total harvest numbers are fairly low, but considering that it’s not that many acres and the reported harvest every year seemed to indicate a significantly higher buck to doe ratio taken, it’s probably a pretty good spot.

I’ve never ventured over there, but have passed it on the way to Patapsco Areas 2 and 3. It is a small area and even with the limited amount of hunters allowed I can’t help but feel we’d all be trying to hunt out of the same tree. I usually try to get away from other hunters on public land.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IIRC, that is listed as archery only. Also IIRC, they publish the harvest report every year and for that area the total harvest numbers are fairly low, but considering that it’s not that many acres and the reported harvest every year seemed to indicate a significantly higher buck to doe ratio taken, it’s probably a pretty good spot.

I’ve never ventured over there, but have passed it on the way to Patapsco Areas 2 and 3. It is a small area and even with the limited amount of hunters allowed I can’t help but feel we’d all be trying to hunt out of the same tree. I usually try to get away from other hunters on public land.
    Ditto on that. Just tempting as I could ride my bike over to it now. Patapsco was basically my backyard till the divorce. Though, once I moved in the neighborhood I was on 4 1/2 acres on a creek in the woods and no need to venture the mile to the park with the loads of deer that came through.

If I have to go far, my motivation level drops a lot. I don't mind taking a trip, but it is the same crap for me with the eastern shore a lot. Camping is basically nil, which means often staying in a hotel 20 minutes away from where you hunt.

Just something about waking up too early and then having to DRIVE somewhere that makes it hard for me to roll out of bed and go hunting. Roll out of bed and walk in to my backyard? Sure thing. I don't mind the exercise. I'll cover 10 miles fine still hunting in a day. It is just being awake that early.

I'll see if I can get some reservations in there this fall and see what happens. I love big bucks and I cannot lie, but really I am after stuff to put in the freezer.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    BTW, I’m messed up about the names of some of the areas, what I’ve been discussing as “Woodbrook” I’m an idiot, I actually was thinking of one of the Patapsco SP areas called “Slacks”, off slacks Road near the VFW, basically across the street from the back side of the police training driving track on Raincliffe Road. I haven’t hunted over that way in a while, and I forgot the names of many of the smaller PSP properties.

The Slacks property doesn’t appear to be a viable hunting property any longer, it’s not listed on any of the websites.

Please disregard anything I may have said about Woodbrook, I’ve never been there. Apologies.

Since I discontinued my private lease in Reisterstown this year, I need to study back up on the PSP areas again for next season.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    BTW, I’m messed up about the names of some of the areas, what I’ve been discussing as “Woodbrook” I’m an idiot, I actually was thinking of one of the Patapsco SP areas called “Slacks”, off slacks Road near the VFW, basically across the street from the back side of the police training driving track on Raincliffe Road. I haven’t hunted over that way in a while, and I forgot the names of many of the smaller PSP properties.

The Slacks property doesn’t appear to be a viable hunting property any longer, it’s not listed on any of the websites.

Please disregard anything I may have said about Woodbrook, I’ve never been there. Apologies.

Since I discontinued my private lease in Reisterstown this year, I need to study back up on the PSP areas again for next season.
    No worries and thanks. I know that part of Patapsco SP pretty well. I haven't hunted the Slacks property, but I know where it is. Yeah, with encroachment, I am not surprised it isn't showing anymore for hunting. I think it was pretty tiny to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom