• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Do Maryland state laws apply when walking along the C&O Canal? Part, or all of it, is federal land. Are there any restrictions in federal or state parks I should be aware of? Can one carry something like Gerber's Brush Thinning machete? What about folding knives?

Thanks!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Do Maryland state laws apply when walking along the C&O Canal? Part, or all of it, is federal land. Are there any restrictions in federal or state parks I should be aware of? Can one carry something like Gerber's Brush Thinning machete? What about folding knives?

Thanks!

The C & O canal is under the jurisdiction of the NPS. As of 2-22, the state gun law where the park is located apply. The C & O Canal is in both DC and MD, which have VERY restrictive gun laws. Do NOT carry on any part of the C & O Canal.

I have no idea what the edged weapons laws are in either DC or MD. Someone else will chime in.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    From my understanding, this was pretty much the purpose of the law/policy change... to allow people to follow state law while in NPS areas. So... unless you have an MD ccw, no.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Well, as long as I can carry a knife while hiking, that's all I need.

I really need to get a gun permit that's recognized by Virginia and Pennsylvania. Until then, I'll have to rely on my knives.

Thanks.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Well, as long as I can carry a knife while hiking, that's all I need.

I really need to get a gun permit that's recognized by Virginia and Pennsylvania. Until then, I'll have to rely on my knives.

Thanks.
    Now... 12 years later... you can get a Md W&C permit, which is recognized by the State of Virginia... easy peasy...:)

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Well, right now I'm only interested in the legality of carrying knives, not guns. I have some large knives and know that in D.C. you can't carry serrated knives of any kind. I think you can carry blades up to 4-inches.

dickyvee

Dec 3, 2019
    MoCo Md
    Unless you have to use your blade for self defense, I can’t see the park service caring much. Unless I suppose, you’re carrying a large sword.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    and know that in D.C. you can't carry serrated knives of any kind. I think you can carry blades up to 4-inches.
    You absolutely can carry a serrated knife in DC. It's not mentioned anywhere in DC Code and actually would likely draw less interest if encountered since it has many valid work purposes. Relevant codes:

Possession of a Prohibited Weapon, classes A and B

§ 22–4514. Possession of certain dangerous weapons prohibited; exceptions.

(a) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess any machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, bump stock, ghost gun, knuckles, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife, nor any instrument, attachment, or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearms; provided, however, that machine guns, or sawed-off shotgun, bump stock, ghost gun, knuckles, and blackjacks may be possessed by the members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps of the United States, the National Guard, or Organized Reserves when on duty, the Post Office Department or its employees when on duty, marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen, or other duly-appointed law enforcement officers, including any designated civilian employee of the Metropolitan Police Department, or officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry such weapons, banking institutions, public carriers who are engaged in the business of transporting mail, money, securities, or other valuables, wholesale dealers and retail dealers licensed under § 22-4510.

(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon.

PPW-A is mere possession. You can't have that stuff under any circumstances except as noted in the statute.

PPW-B covers your situation. It requires intent to use it unlawfully before it's a problem. I will tell you that carrying it for "protection" or "self defense" usually will go poorly. Conversely a Spyderco Endura with a fully serrated 3.8 inch blade is an excellent utility knife, box opener, seat belt cutter and steak knife.

I am a cop, not a lawyer.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Well, right now I'm only interested in the legality of carrying knives, not guns. I have some large knives and know that in D.C. you can't carry serrated knives of any kind. I think you can carry blades up to 4-inches.
    Maybe a serrated kitchen knife wouldn't be protected by 2A like this paring knife:

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Maybe a serrated kitchen knife wouldn't be protected by 2A like this paring knife:

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    That article is from 2016 and a lot has changed since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom