• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Hello everyone,
    I just sold my house in MD and looking to buy a place in DE. Sussex is where I am looking. So two quick questions...

First I have a Ford F350 Super Duty with a 6.7 Diesel. I have been contemplating stripping the emissions crap from the turbo back. I did not do it here in MD not being sure of what DE would require for an inspection. So my question is does DE require the emissions on during inspection? If so, do they require annual or any other type of recurring inspections? I could get the emissions stuff stripped after getting over there after any required inspection.

Next is in reference to the previously proposed mag cap ban. I understand CCW holders in DE would be exempt from the ban if passed. I have a LEOSA permit and wonder if that would qualify for the exemption or would I need to get a DE CCW permit?

Any help would be appreciated.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    DE has a yearly inspection. If you remove it you will be caught an fined. It’s newer so check the DE DMV it see what can be done.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    DE has a yearly inspection. If you remove it you will be caught an fined. It’s newer so check the DE DMV it see what can be done.

Is it emissions or visual inspection?

If visual most of the time you can gut the cat and shut off the components but leave them physically in place and skip through

No it's not legal. Whatever

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    Sussex is the county to be in.

Per DE DMV (https://www.dmv.de.gov/VehicleServices/inspections/index.shtml?dc=ve_reg_safety)

Vehicle Safety Inspection
    Brake Testing

Delaware performs a safety inspection of your vehicle to ensure that your vehicle’s safety equipment is in working condition. The following is a brief outline of some of the items that will be inspected:

All lights must be clean, in working order and properly aimed. This includes stoplights, turn signals, license plate lights, parking lights and headlights
    Brakes must stop the vehicle within required distance
    Glass in windows must have no holes, breaks or cracks
    Mirrors must be clean and unbroken
    Windshield wipers must be fully operative (the rubber blades must be in good condition)
    Hood and trunk latches must hold hood and trunk fully closed
    Tires must have no bulges, no fabric showing, no bald areas and no cuts. Tread depth must be at least 2/32 inch measured in two adjacent treads
    Doorknobs or equivalent must be present and in working condition
    There must be no damaged or dislocated parts projecting from the vehicle that could present a safety hazard
    Horn must be in operating condition
    Muffler must effectively reduce sound of engine exhaust. No leaks in exhaust system. Catalytic converter must be installed if originally equipped from manufacturer
    There must be no gasoline leaks
    Bumper height on passenger cars must not exceed 22 inches from the ground to the bottom of the bumper
    No tinting or sun screening device can be applied to the front windshield or to the front side windows
    No air scoops shall be mounted on a vehicle hood that exceeds 3 inches
    Windshield must have no cracks that interfere with vision. Any cracks over 5 inches on any window are mandatory failure items. Minimum height of visibility in windshield is 10 inches

Emissions:

Exhaust Emission Inspection

The Division of Motor Vehicles performs two types of exhaust emissions analysis. The first is an idle and the second is a two-speed (2,500 rpm's). These tests enable Delaware to comply with the Federal Clean Air Act requirements for vehicle emissions testing.
    Inspection Tips:

The Division requests that customers perform the following items upon entering the vehicle inspection building:

Ensure your automatic transmission is in 'Park', or 'Neutral' and have your insurance and vehicle registration card present.
    Vehicle Year Type of Inspection
    1967 & Older passenger vehicles No Emissions test performed
    1968 – 1980 vehicles Idle Test
    1981 – 1995 Two-Speed Test
    1996 – To current seven model year On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII)
    Current seven model years Exempt

Idle Emission Test– The DMV technician places the probe into the tailpipe to begin test. This test takes approximately 1 minute to complete.
    Two-Speed Test- The DMV technician will place the RPM sensor on the vehicle’s hood prior to beginning phase one of the test. Phase two the DMV technician will request that you increase the engine speed to 2,500 rpm. DMV shall not test emissions at a higher engine speed. To guide you through this process, the DMV technician shall direct you to follow the guidelines on the computer monitor located outside the driver’s door. The monitor shows your engine speed and indicates when you are in the acceptable range. This test takes approximately 2.5 minutes to complete.
    On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) -
    OBD location
    There are two steps in the OBD II inspection. With the key on and the engine off, the inspector confirms that the MIL is functional. The inspector connects the inspection tool to the OBD II system to check the status of the system. The following is a typical OBD II connector. This test takes approximately 2 minutes to complete. The test checks for trouble codes and monitor readiness. If you have recently replaced your battery the vehicle's monitors will not be ready causing the vehicle to fail. Drive the vehicle for several days to reset the monitors prior to DMV testing. The OBDII test method will replace the Division's tailpipe test (and pressure test) for 1996 and new gasoline powered vehicles and 1997 and new diesel powered vehicles with MGVWR less than 8,500 pounds registered in New Castle County and Kent County.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. I will be in Milford starting 5/10 and will get it inspected and check with a shop or two there to get feedback.

Steven

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom