• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Last Saturday morning I visited their new facility on Rt.175 and was there when they opened just in case it was crowded. Surprisingly, there were only a handful of other shooters. I have been looking forward to their opening because it is fairly close to me.
    Spent and hour in the range and could not have stayed any longer due to the heat and lack of airflow. I was not the only one feeling it, either.
    While I was checking out, a woman came out of the range and said she needed some fresh air and was going outside.
    I mentioned the range being very hot for first thing in the morning and was told that a new air conditioning systems would cost $300K, and was not part of the renovation. What a major disappointment!
    Having knowledge of the concept of "return on investment", this may not have been a wise business decision on their part. The system will only be more expensive if done in the future, and require more disruption, adding to the costs.
    The heat and poor airflow were my major complaints when On Target still operated it.
    The facility is very nice otherwise, but not likely to attract shooters like me in the warmer months, reducing potential revenue, IMO.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    The contractor who sold Tom (the owner) the air handling system should be forced to spend a couple of hours in the range. I'm not an HVAC tech, but even I know that there's no fvcking way that just bringing in 'fresh' untreated air on a typical humid 90 degree plus day is going to be satisfactory.

I understand that there is a substantial initial cost for a suitable a/c system, plus the huge monthly cost of compliant HEPA filters, and I offered to pay an increased membership fee plus donate to a fund to upgrade the system. I'm sure many folks disagree that they should have to pay more for what should have been an acceptable solution. But it's worth a lot to me to be able to shoot in an air-conditioned range in the warmer months, and the first Cindy's location is bound to need upgrading soon.

I also suggested to Tom that he conduct a poll among current membership to see if they'd be willing to pay more for a membership (and maybe how much) as well as chip in a donation for the upgrade.

Another option might be a lifetime (or 10 year limited) membership for $1k for an individual.

In the interim, perhaps it's possible to employ a temporary industrial sized unit to help cool things off.

I consider Cindy's a very valuable resource and want to help keep it viable.

etc1006

Nov 19, 2014
    SW Balto County
    I stopped in there last Wed after a job interview @ Kimbrough on the Fort. Was only like 2-3 folks on range. Hell, I found the original too hot last summer... Came out with my shirt soaked like I was outside...

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    Pity, I guess my fat ass will have to wait till fall to visit there. Had intended to go soon. Hopefully they find a good solution soon.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    Yep. I went for the first time this week. Nice place over all but I was dying. Is there a indoor range that didn't cheap out on AC?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Basics of Indoor vs Outdoor .

Bottom line of Safety for indoor ranges is * Ventilation * , to minimize exposure to lead , carcinogens , and airborne gunk generally . To do that , takes massive airflow , as in complete air exchanges in single digit minutes . To cool that much air to normal indoor temps would need huge BTU capacity , and huge utility bill .

( In winter , radiant heaters can be focused on firing line area , instead of forced air heating the whole range .)

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Basics of Indoor vs Outdoor .

Bottom line of Safety for indoor ranges is * Ventilation * , to minimize exposure to lead , carcinogens , and airborne gunk generally . To do that , takes massive airflow , as in complete air exchanges in single digit minutes . To cool that much air to normal indoor temps would need huge BTU capacity , and huge utility bill .

( In winter , radiant heaters can be focused on firing line area , instead of forced air heating the whole range .)

Would it not be possible to do something similar with the AC, having a smaller system that vents cool forced air directly above or behind the shooting positions, while air at the back of the range is vented out and presumably filtered? They don't need to cool the whole space, nobody will care if it's hot 10ft in front of the firing line.

*I'm not an HVAC guy either, but I did replace my thermostat last year. ;)

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Would it not be possible to do something similar with the AC, having a smaller system that vents cool forced air directly above or behind the shooting positions, while air at the back of the range is vented out and presumably filtered? They don't need to cool the whole space, nobody will care if it's hot 10ft in front of the firing line.

*I'm not an HVAC guy either, but I did replace my thermostat last year. ;)
    Or you can do like I did for my basement workshop: a heat exchanger system that allows the outgoing exhaust to exchange heat with the incoming fresh air. So hot outside air gets cooled by the exhaust from the inside in the summer, and heated in the winter, while fumes from indoors get sent away.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If they ran a couple portable AC units behind the firing line it might just make it comfortable enough. You don't need it to be 68 degrees. Or maybe even small fans at every position just to move the air a bit.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Too Hot
    This town is too hot
    Now they're calllin' for their guns
    About to spoil the rude boys funs
    But rude boys never give up their guns
    It's too hot

1690634508360.png

This is quite a coincidence. I knew of The Specials, BUT never saw any album covers or art until earlier this week when a college buddy of mine, who collects albums, posted this to his FB page the other day.

1690634429392.png

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Back on track, I have never been to an indoor range unless you count the one I shoot 22's at in Jefferson Pa. That one is strictly for 22 or air rifle, and it has only been myself and 2 friends by ourselves in the fall or winter. I do know where several Md ranges are located, but have never been. Having said that, I realize it is hot as heck outside, and yes, Cindy's 2 is supposedly uncomfortable for some of you. But just from this thread, I learned a side note to heat, and that is the air quality issue re: stuff like lead and fumes from the shooting.

Having said this, how many of you guys have been to Continental in Timonium or Freedom up in Pa?

Provide thoughts on their comfort measures and also general opinions on the experience such as costs, staff, amenities or negatives, please.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom