• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Anyone happen to (actually) know what the “venue issue” is / was?

(While I wait for a substantive answer I’ll still just say, “Fvck MD” …)

CMP Cancels Maryland Junior Rifle Camps, Adds Various New Ones In Place​

Due to venue issues, two of the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s (CMP) Junior Rifle Camps planned for Annapolis, Md., in July have been cancelled. The camps were set to take place July 18-20 (Advanced Standing Camp) and July 24-27 (3P Camp).

To supplement the withdrawn camps, the CMP has acquired a new location during the same dates – the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Va. – where an Advanced Standing and a three-position (3P) camp will be held. A total of 18 spots will be available for each camp. Additionally, the CMP has included a bonus 3P Air Camp from May 30 to June 2 at the Judy Legerski CMP Competition Center in Anniston, Ala.

Full article here: https://www.shootingwire.com/releases/33e58acf-95bd-4746-8aed-4de3863152e2

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Anyone happen to (actually) know what the “venue issue” is / was?

(While I wait for a substantive answer I’ll still just say, “Fvck MD” …)

CMP Cancels Maryland Junior Rifle Camps, Adds Various New Ones In Place​

Due to venue issues, two of the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s (CMP) Junior Rifle Camps planned for Annapolis, Md., in July have been cancelled. The camps were set to take place July 18-20 (Advanced Standing Camp) and July 24-27 (3P Camp).

To supplement the withdrawn camps, the CMP has acquired a new location during the same dates – the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Va. – where an Advanced Standing and a three-position (3P) camp will be held. A total of 18 spots will be available for each camp. Additionally, the CMP has included a bonus 3P Air Camp from May 30 to June 2 at the Judy Legerski CMP Competition Center in Anniston, Ala.

Full article here: https://www.shootingwire.com/releases/33e58acf-95bd-4746-8aed-4de3863152e2
    Yes, Annapolis High School was going to be the venue. CMP was signed up to use the gymnasium. After getting the okay and scheduling everything the school got back to us saying, whoops, we forgot we have an asbestos problem and the work was scheduled in the summer when you had requested the gym. This is not the first time this year scheduling of the gymnasium was fouled up when we needed it for matches.
    Thanks, Anne Arundel County Board of Education for your 'timely' notification.

fogman

My son and I were signed up for Annapolis, then it was cancelled. There was some discussion about using Howard County Fairgrounds but schedules couldn't be worked out.
    Fortunately I planned on taking the week off and signed up as a coach. We were able to get a slot at VMI for the 3-P Air Rifle Camp.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    My son and I were signed up for Annapolis, then it was cancelled. There was some discussion about using Howard County Fairgrounds but schedules couldn't be worked out.
    Fortunately I planned on taking the week off and signed up as a coach. We were able to get a slot at VMI for the 3-P Air Rifle Camp.
    Glad you were able to take advantage of this program. It is a really good camp. I understand the counselors are all collegiate 3P shooters. I was supposed to go as well, but VMI is just too far to travel every day and staying there wasn't feasible.
    The standing camp is designed for advanced shooters (i.e. have shot at least one year and have match experience).

fogman

My son is 16 and started at age 8 shooting Sporter. He moved up to Precision 3 years ago. Using his 3-D printer, he modified his Crosman Challenger to have stock adjustments to make the rifle fit him. Last year we got him a Feinwerkbau 800x and his scores made a big jump up. I'm hoping the CMP camp gives him what he needs to increase his scores more. Attending as a coach, I hope to learn a few things to help in coaching my clubs juniors program and with 4-H.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    A big shout-out and Thank You to all you coaches, parents and others who make these camps and competitions possible!

Very sorry to hear camp got cancelled at Annapolis venue but, relieved (I think) to learn it was not political grandstanding or wokism

toppkatt, I received your PM - Thank You again for the great (and most welcome!) info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom