CMP Dist. Mksmn Program for Disabled Athletes!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Yuge I say, simply yuge … !

CMP Awards First Distinguished Marksman Badge Points – A Program for Disabled Athletes​

<snip>
    As part of its role in the marksmanship community, the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is appointed the honor of distributing Distinguished Badges, the highest individual awards authorized by the U. S. Government for excellence in marksmanship competition. Individuals earn a badge after firing in Excellence-In-Competition (EIC) events and earning at least 30 EIC points and other requirements.

Though the program is offered to competitors in a wide assortment of firearm disciplines, the physical constraints to earn a badge on the firing line left a population of marksmen and women unable to earn a badge of their own – those bearing debilitating conditions.
    Thankfully, in 2019, the CMP introduced the Distinguished Marksman Badge, which allows competitors with a permanent disability or impairment that requires the use of adaptive firing positions, equipment or techniques to become eligible to earn the necessary credit points towards a badge in EIC events.

After a long wait, on July 10, 2022, the very first Distinguished Marksman EIC points were awarded.

“I love shooting and wanted to go Distinguished,” said Mark Walsh, 52, of Stoneham, Massachusetts, who was the recipient of the points. “I think it would be a great achievement for a disabled veteran to accomplish and maybe inspire others with disabilities to get into our great sport.”

Walsh began in marksmanship when he joined the Navy Reserve as a Seabee in 2000. There, he made a connection with a superior who taught Walsh how to use a firearm for more than just occupational use.

“We had to qualify every year with a M16,” Walsh explained. “My chief, Franco Scarpino, was a highpower shooter. He taught me how to shoot and got me into shooting.”

In 2003, Walsh went into the Army Reserve as a combat engineer. The position carried him to Iraq from 2004 to 2005, and it was during his stay that he gained the injuries that would take him away from marksmanship competition.

Walsh developed a degenerative disc disease in his lower back and neck, which causes neuropathy in his hands and legs. He also has arthritis in both knees as well as his back, neck and hands. Additionally, he’s had to have reconstruction surgery on his left knee to remove scar tissue and both menisci (the meniscus cartilage that acts as a shock absorber for the joint).

His ailments left him unable to carry out the required, legal positioning in competition that would keep him eligible for regular EIC points and made competing difficult, so, he retired from the sport. In 2020, he realized how much he missed the range, and, with a new chance at a Distinguished Badge, decided to again take to the firing line.

Read more: https://www.shootingwire.com/features/fe7e50de-c05b-4832-9325-dd80bc11be01
    <End snip>

Attachments

• CD575A67-2CD9-4575-8162-F49248B4ACB3.png
      CD575A67-2CD9-4575-8162-F49248B4ACB3.png
      59.2 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple