• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Camping in Gettysburg PA this weekend, looking to huint squrrel close by, in MD. Cunningham falls seems closest, is rifle allowed there? If no wqht are some other options.

Thank you so much for the future help!!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/cunningham.asp

Hunting

Hunting is permitted on 3500 acres of wildlands in accordance with statewide hunting regulations. The hunting area consists of forested terrain with steep access routes.
    A reservations only deer hunting area is available for hunters with a Hunt from the Vehicle Permit. Reservations are required. Reservations are taken starting the day after Labor Day at 8:00 am. Reservations can be made either in person at the Park Administration Office or by calling 301-271-7574. Reservations can be made for Deer Firearm Season and the first week of Muzzleloader Season.
    Be sure to consult your Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping for season dates and bag limits.
    Hunters may enter / remain on park property outside of the regular posted hours provided that they are engaged in legitimate, authorized hunting activity.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I saw lots of squirrels there when I was waiting for an appointment with a deer last week. That appointment time came and went without the meeting taking place. I figured I would come back with the 22 rifle to get even with all those squirrels laughing at me. :) Have fun.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Just a heads up to check the Hunting reg book, I think the doe-only early muzzleloader season might still be open this weekend. If it is, it's likely you would have a lot of company from deer hunters.

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    IIDK if anyone cares bout or is following my thread. Seen no squirrels but did accidently call in a turkeu.

I called and emailed cunningham nd got everything squared away...now here is the pickle..
    Rules and regs say we can hunt yotes, coons and I think possum, at night, with light. Since most parks close at dark, so I wondered. I called a "ranger"(its what the email said) nd he said it shouldn't be aa issue, but then he said "I'd just do it anyway".

So...anyone hunt indian springs(they hve signs sTating 10pmis closed.) Cunningham I didn't see signs?

Can I hunt these lands at night??? I hiked indian springs one night, saw teones of bedded deer, rhought I'd get busted for poaching.

I just wnt yotes :(

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Not sure about yotes in Cunningham, I'm sure it's possible. I have heard people say they are in Frederick City Watershed. It's just off Mountaindale Rd west of Rte 15. Years ago I use to hunt Cunningham all the time, always saw more squirrels on the East side closer to Rte 15. Deer hunted more over by the lake and up hill from Rte 77. The good old days when my knees could take it and could spend the day still hunting all around there. Never seen any yotes, had a few fox. Called in a grey with a fawn distress call in early archery season.

I think you will be good to go at night, just be sure to have coyote hunting stuff(Calls) and not deer stuff etc. Really doubt you will see the rangers till you get ready to leave. You could leave a note on the window, saying you are coyote hunting etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom