• Other

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Now that I have a Bergara B14R 22 LR, I think I want to put together another one. Why not, right? Variety is the spice of life!

With that said, do I pick up another bolt gun with the CZ 457 Varmint (this was my original choice before I got the Bergara) or should I trick out the nearly unused Ruger 10/22 Deluxe I've had sitting in my safe for years? Initial upgrades would be:

1. Barrel - probably a Feddersen or Kidd
    2. Trigger - initially just a Ruger BX - that seems to be a nice bang for the buck
    3. Stock - not sure on this, maybe a Boyds, maybe a Magpul hunter, or maybe I'll just inlet the barrel channel on the OEM Ruger stock

Discuss - I'm open to ideas on the pros and cons of each - this will likely be a range toy and won't be used for much else.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I would say CZ. I have an older tacticool model and it’s fantastic to shoot.
    The CZ certainly has a following and I think it would be a tack driver out of the box with the right ammo.

When I first started down the rabbit hole looking into mods to the 10/22, I was looking at Shaw barrels, but they seem to be hit or miss, and the YouTube reviews weren't great. The Feddersen and Kidd barrels seem to do much better, but of course with a better barrel it's more $$$ - I wouldn't be saving much, if anything, by modding.

The CZ can be had for about $600 and change. The mods I was looking into would be roughly $500. Less than $400 if I use the OEM Ruger Stock, which isn't ugly.

IMG_7657.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Of your choices, probably the cz.

If you don't want to do a other bergara, and already own 1022 mags, look for a 77/22. More like a real rifle (bolt lugs as opposed to the bolt.handle.being the lock). Mine has a 9 twist volquartsen barrel in it and generally only gets used when someone has a small problem that needs removal. Aguila SSS ammo, then SSS.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd get the CZ 457 .

Unlike the common 10/22 Carbine , the Deluxe is somewhat rare , and I'd probably keep it original configuration, unless the accuracy actually sucked .

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I'd get the CZ 457 .

Unlike the common 10/22 Carbine , the Deluxe is somewhat rare , and I'd probably keep it original configuration, unless the accuracy actually sucked .
    This.

If you want a tricked out 10/22 you'll probably end up replacing everything except the receiver and possibly the bolt anyway. So just buy those, and, if you don't want to keep the Deluxe, sell it on to fund part of the build.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In MHO, 10/22s are like jeeps; you buy one. Realize it's a piece of crap. Then you spend a bunch of money trying to make it live up to it's reputation. I guess you know where I come down on this...

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I've got a Bergara BXR for sale for cheap, if you want a "10/22 clone" but another Bergara.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have a tricked out 10/22 and the CZ457 Varmint. The CZ has the 17HMR and 22LR barrels. I kept the 17HMR barrel on it. That thing is super fun to shoot and more accurate. It really doesn't matter which one you choose because you will eventually do both anyhow. And why not right.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It looks like my best bet is to just get the CZ rather than to try to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Of course nothing says that I can't fiddle with the Ruger later.

It's funny - I saw that Ruger sitting on the rack at Bart's Sports World (which let's you know how long I've had it) and I thought, "gee - you know, everyone seems to love a Ruger 10/22, maybe I should just snag that." I've never been particularly taken with it. It's ok, but there's just nothing compelling about it that makes me want to pull it out of the safe. Kind of like my HK USP 45 - there's another gun that seemed like it was just the ticket when I bought it, but it just kind of sits there and rarely makes it out to the range.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    In MHO, 10/22s are like jeeps; you buy one. Realize it's a piece of crap. Then you spend a bunch of money trying to make it live up to it's reputation. I guess you know where I come down on this...
    I would say comparing a 10/22 to a CZ457 is like comparing a Chevy (or maybe a Jeep) to a Porsche. Not in the same league.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The CZ certainly has a following and I think it would be a tack driver out of the box with the right ammo.

When I first started down the rabbit hole looking into mods to the 10/22, I was looking at Shaw barrels, but they seem to be hit or miss, and the YouTube reviews weren't great. The Feddersen and Kidd barrels seem to do much better, but of course with a better barrel it's more $$$ - I wouldn't be saving much, if anything, by modding.

The CZ can be had for about $600 and change. The mods I was looking into would be roughly $500. Less than $400 if I use the OEM Ruger Stock, which isn't ugly.

View attachment 467615
    I agree with previous comments. I would leave that Ruger the way it is. Maybe a Volquartsen action kit:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom