• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Okay I went to DC today to do my application. First a few things to make your life easier, make your apt at 245-300 pm. There is construction going on at the MPD building, the construction guys all left at 230, parking close opened up really fast. Like I walked out and with in a block away there was 20 spaces open. Next dont forget to bring a second form of ID for address verification ( more on this in a min ).

I parked about 3 blocks away and arrived at 115 for a 130 apt. They did not take me in until 210, at 215 she asked for my second ID which I did not have ( my fault ) and she gave me 15 mins to get it or she would cancel my apt. So I had to run 3 blocks to get my car registration. ( I literally ran, too old for that and was now all sweaty )

Make sure you print the filled out app that you submit online. She asked for it. She also asked for the original paperwork for my DC law class, when I pushed back and said it was emailed to me she accepted it.

Next make sure you have the info on where and when you bought the handgun your registering, you need to fill a separate form out with that info. Luckily I had printed the 77r for the one I did, so I had the gun stores info and date of transfer.

Lastly they wont accept the MD training anymore. I checked the exemption for the dc training and shooting, but with the dc law adder class. I had a shooting qual for PA leosa which meets the dc requirements for round count and distances with a letter from a PA lesoa instructor stating the 2 hours. They would take neither. They did accept my NRA pistol instructor cert for both, luckily I printed and brought a ton of stuff ( except my car reg ).

I took the Dc law class from george lyons ( sp? ) and emailed him when I left to call me. He did about 30 mins later and I told him about not taking the MD hgp training cert. He did not know that and thanked me for reaching out. So thats new, if your in process of your DC permit and doing the conversion using the MD HGP training you need to take the dc classes and shooting real quick.

Oct 19, 2022
    Southern NJ
    Just to make sure I understand. DC is accepting NRA pistol instructor credentials as meeting all of the training requirements? I've been holding off on the DC permit for a long time because of the required training. DC carry helps me when I'm in the area on business but traveling to DC for training is a PITA because I'm in NJ. But...If they'll accept NRA instructor credentials, I'm going to apply.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Training doesn't take place IN DC, it can't . There are no (general public) shooting ranges inside city limits .

in that part of Md and Va , there are a plethora of Md and Va based , DC certified Instructors .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Okay I went to DC today to do my application. First a few things to make your life easier, make your apt at 245-300 pm. There is construction going on at the MPD building, the construction guys all left at 230, parking close opened up really fast. Like I walked out and with in a block away there was 20 spaces open. Next dont forget to bring a second form of ID for address verification ( more on this in a min ).

I parked about 3 blocks away and arrived at 115 for a 130 apt. They did not take me in until 210, at 215 she asked for my second ID which I did not have ( my fault ) and she gave me 15 mins to get it or she would cancel my apt. So I had to run 3 blocks to get my car registration. ( I literally ran, too old for that and was now all sweaty )

Make sure you print the filled out app that you submit online. She asked for it. She also asked for the original paperwork for my DC law class, when I pushed back and said it was emailed to me she accepted it.

Next make sure you have the info on where and when you bought the handgun your registering, you need to fill a separate form out with that info. Luckily I had printed the 77r for the one I did, so I had the gun stores info and date of transfer.

Lastly they wont accept the MD training anymore. I checked the exemption for the dc training and shooting, but with the dc law adder class. I had a shooting qual for PA leosa which meets the dc requirements for round count and distances with a letter from a PA lesoa instructor stating the 2 hours. They would take neither. They did accept my NRA pistol instructor cert for both, luckily I printed and brought a ton of stuff ( except my car reg ).

I took the Dc law class from george lyons ( sp? ) and emailed him when I left to call me. He did about 30 mins later and I told him about not taking the MD hgp training cert. He did not know that and thanked me for reaching out. So thats new, if your in process of your DC permit and doing the conversion using the MD HGP training you need to take the dc classes and shooting real quick.
    Just to be clear, they wouldn't accept your MD training because it wasn't DC training or because the instructor for your MD training wasn't certified by DC? Obviously your DC law adder by George was valid because he is certified by DC.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD

Thanks for the info! I have an appointment in a couple of weeks and this will help me in making sure to take the right documents.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Just to make sure I understand. DC is accepting NRA pistol instructor credentials as meeting all of the training requirements? I've been holding off on the DC permit for a long time because of the required training. DC carry helps me when I'm in the area on business but traveling to DC for training is a PITA because I'm in NJ. But...If they'll accept NRA instructor credentials, I'm going to apply.
    I cant say they will tomorrow but they did for me for the non dc law part of the class and the shooting part . You still need the dc law class either way, so no not all of it.
    Just to be clear, they wouldn't accept your MD training because it wasn't DC training or because the instructor for your MD training wasn't certified by DC? Obviously your DC law adder by George was valid because he is certified by DC.
    They used to as of a month or so ago allow "conversion" of the md HGP to the dc training with the adder of the law class by a DC instructor. It appears by them not accepting mine they dont any more.

Who knows why but I will bet its as simple as too many MD people applying and its their way of restricting the number of permits.

Funny thing is there was 10 people there when I got there for the same thing, plus another 5 or so after me. If you do the math thats about 15 people in 1.5 hours, or around 40-50 a day ( some might have might have just been doing the stuff to buy a gun )

No.4buck

Jul 11, 2019
    Capital Region
    Hello,

Unfortunately per my poor research skills, I couldnt find the info I'm looking for, so I figured I should ask here.

How would I as a non dc resident with a dc concealed carry permit, register more handguns to carry? I only have one handgun registered, the one i was required to in the initial application. Now that I do have the permit, i'd like to apply my carry rotation to dc, if you will.

I signed up an appointment for "Home Protection/ Registration". Is that the right type of appointment for such. Do I fill out another one of those form 219d's with the appropriate info and bring that to the appointment?

Much appreciated.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Hello,

Unfortunately per my poor research skills, I couldnt find the info I'm looking for, so I figured I should ask here.

How would I as a non dc resident with a dc concealed carry permit, register more handguns to carry? I only have one handgun registered, the one i was required to in the initial application. Now that I do have the permit, i'd like to apply my carry rotation to dc, if you will.

I signed up an appointment for "Home Protection/ Registration". Is that the right type of appointment for such. Do I fill out another one of those form 219d's with the appropriate info and bring that to the appointment?

Much appreciated.
    Go here https://mpdc.dc.gov/node/929382 and the Firearms Registration section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom