• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas

Mar 4, 2013
    Rockville
    Last night at 6:30PM I received a call from Delegate Luiz Simmons:asshat:, District 17, Montgomery county for a town hall telephonic meeting. What I listened to for the next 1.5 hours was what I can only describe as uninformed ignorance and fear mongering for political gains. Delegate Simmons was spoon fed callers (he would not take my repeated attempts to converse with him) to bolster his support of the gun control bill SB281. Here are a few of the points I jotted down:
    - Delegate Simmons said several times that he believed this bill did not go far enough and that all regulated firearms should be confiscated, not grandfathered in as the current bill suggests.
    - Delegate Simmons mentioned that at the time they created this bill he had no idea that a .22LR cartridge could be used in a hunting rifle as well as an "assault type rifle". This is the level of ignorance on display by our legislators. He also indicated that "flash suppressors increased the lethality of the firearm."
    - One caller suggested that since the 2nd amendment was written so long ago, that somehow we should all trade in our guns for muskets. I would have suggested that he read the Opinion of the Court from SCOTUS on DC V. Heller where Justice Scalia shreds this notion.
    - Another participant asked that we take an "instant psychological evaluation" in the gun store at time of purchase. No shit? You want the guy behind the counter at a gun store to give a psychological evaluation?
    - almost every caller mentioned that they were scared to walk the streets, or that they fear guns. Funny thing is, the US is at intentional homicide rates equivalent to those for the entire 1950's, 4.7 per 100,00.
    I would like to thank Delegate Simmons for taking the time to push The Gov's agenda and for giving me back my childhood stutter.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Wow - the level of sheer ignorance that surrounds this topic is unbelievable. You'd think that if a politician wanted to push an issue, the least they could do is make even a small effort to become educated about it.

This is one of the reasons I'm looking to try to get more involved politically. Then again, maybe I'm deluding myself thinking that a person in the mix with some common sense who actually uses their brain might actually be able to effect a change for the better.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am reading the comments on the WaPo article about the Rock Creek Part managed deer hunt.

These are people ruled by sheer emotion...the Simmons callers are the same bunch of numbnuts. I would not even be surprised if the callers were "placed" by gun violence people for show. oh well, i had higher hopes but i was wrong.

sigh.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was on the call and I posted some of the tidbits on another thread....

-He kept bringing up that he would have liked us to be forced to turn in our AR's

-One caller said that bullets should only be sold by registered dealers and that there should be a huge tax on them

-As OP noted they used features to outline the lethality of a weapon . Simmons did not know of another way to to define assault weapons.

- He kept noting odd ball guns that most of us have never heard of or have never seen before

Lucas

Mar 4, 2013
    Rockville
    Wow - the level of sheer ignorance that surrounds this topic is unbelievable. You'd think that if a politician wanted to push an issue, the least they could do is make even a small effort to become educated about it.
    It's either ignorance or it is about giving O'Malley a big win on a national stage. I don't know which is worse.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's either ignorance or it is about giving O'Malley a big win on a national stage. I don't know which is worse.

its both... he doesn't care hes sticking with his party so hes covered. The low information voter is being spoon fed what they "need" to know and it all works in the end

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Gads, I'm glad I missed this. I'm in D17, and I'm going to make damned sure Simmons and his contributors know to expect no help from me, ever.

Also going to note that I'm a registered Dem, and will be very active campaigning against him next year. Hell, starting this year!

Long, hard, uphill fight, but I'm not ready to leave Maryland just yet. Improvise, adapt, and overcome!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Hey echo6mike, were you a radio operator?

Roger. PMOS 2531 back in the day (all Reserve time, but it still sticks with a guy).

Follow up in PM any time, don't want to derail the thread too much here. Simmons. :mad54:

But you know you're old when your MOS doesn't even exist any more, and your sea stories start "well, back when I was in, we had this thing called..."

:innocent0

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    So much for the conversation with his aide who said he hadn't made a decision on how he would vote because he was hearing from a lot of people on both sides. Then again he is from Mo Co (where I unfortunately live) which is very liberal.

Unfortunately, it seems that many of the elected officials are more afraid of MOM than they are of the voters. Maybe after a few of them lose their seats in 2014 they will realize that they actually do work for the people.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So much for the conversation with his aide who said he hadn't made a decision on how he would vote because he was hearing from a lot of people on both sides. Then again he is from Mo Co (where I unfortunately live) which is very liberal.

Unfortunately, it seems that many of the elected officials are more afraid of MOM than they are of the voters. Maybe after a few of them lose their seats in 2014 they will realize that they actually do work for the people.

MoM made him afraid of the voters by putting out the threat of a primary challenge from the left (Kagan) for a senate seat Simmons is interested in. Kagan incidentally used to work for Handgun Control Inc. While you may detest him, you have to respect the ruthlessness.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Did many pro-gun people speak up during the Town Hall call?

7A38

I was on for about 30-45 minutes ..first two pro 2A then went downhill between low information people to about mix of Simmons not really answering the questions.

Lucas

Mar 4, 2013
    Rockville
    I was on for about 30-45 minutes ..first two pro 2A then went downhill between low information people to about mix of Simmons not really answering the questions.

I'm glad someone else was in on the phone call and witnessed this show. One woman showed her support for the bill because she lived next to an elementary school. WTF does that have to do with the price of pop tarts in Chicago?

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    MoM made him afraid of the voters by putting out the threat of a primary challenge from the left (Kagan) for a senate seat Simmons is interested in. Kagan incidentally used to work for Handgun Control Inc. While you may detest him, you have to respect the ruthlessness.
    Once again political ambitions are prioritized ahead of our rights. As someone said earlier they see them as "poker chips". So wrong.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm glad someone else was in on the phone call and witnessed this show. One woman showed her support for the bill because she lived next to an elementary school. WTF does that have to do with the price of pop tarts in Chicago?

Was it the same lady that said : " I'm a lady and you know I believe that only the military and police should own weapons " ?

Lucas

Mar 4, 2013
    Rockville
    Was it the same lady that said : " I'm a lady and you know I believe that only the military and police should own weapons " ?
    I remember her, she had no idea what she was afraid of, she was just afraid. I was writing so fast and the callers were all over the place with their comments, I had to stop for a minute to catch my breath...that's when I walked outside and saw the full moon.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom