• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Eggs and Plots have lots of potential predators. Great Horned Owls will get a few grown turkeys also but impact is overall low to population

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The bait thing has always been intriguing to me. I know people do it, but from my own experience, I've never seen them in the feeders. I have a pretty decent (albeit highly transient) population in my area, and run three feeders during deer season. In the 17 years I've been here, I have never seen them in the feeders or on camera at the feeder. Of course, I've never had luck with decoys either, so it might just be me, ha.
    Unusual they dont come to a deer feeder especially if your baiting with corn. Thats pretty intriguing in of itself.
    Alot of these fall seasons, coincide with deer season so its not too awful hard to figure out why the numbers are down.
    I bet a rep from some of the big name local turkey conservation factions could speak to the effectiveness of baiting/ feeding turkeys. Or at least get people on board for how to do it, why no to do it or at least buy some tickets for raffled hunts and what not.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Unusual they dont come to a deer feeder especially if your baiting with corn. Thats pretty intriguing in of itself.
    Alot of these fall seasons, coincide with deer season so its not too awful hard to figure out why the numbers are down.
    I bet a rep from some of the big name local turkey conservation factions could speak to the effectiveness of baiting/ feeding turkeys. Or at least get people on board for how to do it, why no to do it or at least buy some tickets for raffled hunts and what not.
    What's really interesting about it is I have seen them walk right by it and never stop. We don't have any real corn fields close anymore. Occasionally I see them in the soy beans in late fall. Must really be fans of the local acorns.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The bait thing has always been intriguing to me. I know people do it, but from my own experience, I've never seen them in the feeders. I have a pretty decent (albeit highly transient) population in my area, and run three feeders during deer season. In the 17 years I've been here, I have never seen them in the feeders or on camera at the feeder. Of course, I've never had luck with decoys either, so it might just be me,

What's really interesting about it is I have seen them walk right by it and never stop. We don't have any real corn fields close anymore. Occasionally I see them in the soy beans in late fall. Must really be fans of the local acorns.
    That is weird.
    When I used to bait outside of deer season at my other place in the mountains you could keep them off it.
    I used to put up ribbons, caution tape walk down in there shoot and everything and they would be on it like nobodies business.
    Let the dog run in on them.
    If you took an aerial it would have looked like the Boy Scouts were in there raking leaf piles.
    I always hoped google earth would do a flyby. You could see it from a satellite image I bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom