• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rchapman27

Feb 28, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Hey got a quick question, I've been waiting on my Form 4 to come back (ATF says they have till April, Check cleared in may). Currently my DPMS is sitting at a FFL dealer/gun shop.

Question: Does the transfer fee increase due to the rifle sitting there since it was shipped to them by manufacturer in February? I mean there is a transfer fee (I got that part) but does the FFL charge storage fee's for since the backlog is so heavy and its been there almost a year? How do FFLs offset the cost of thier rooms basically being storage lockers while the ATF approves, and is this somehow passed down to the consumer?

Just curious as I've been sitting here waiting, thanks for any/all answers.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the FFL is a Class III dealer they know the law when they sell you the firearm and know the rules. I don't see how they could charge you for storing it any more than they could charge you for storing a regular firearm for the 7 day waiting period.

IMO the firearm isn't technically yours until the Form 4 comes back approved anyway. But that's only an opinion.

rchapman27

Feb 28, 2013
    Hazzard County
    They are not charging me. I just didn't know if they are somehow subsidized for their storage space considering the large amounts of purchases and processing.

thank you and that does answer my question.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If they are charging you for long-term storage than that would have disclosed up front. Since you're dealing with a Class III item the dealer will know that the entire process takes months to complete. If they don't then I'd find another Class III dealer to do business with.

Long story short, no, you should not see an increase

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    NFA dealers know the process will take months. They usually charge you for it upfront. For example, a rifle transfer may be $25 (storing it only until you pick up), $50 handgun (Storing to you pick up and 7 days after that) and $100 NFA transfer. Storing for around 9 months.

I don't see the storage as a huge concern. Time is money at most FFLs. So the fee is based more on time spent and paperwork to process rather than space it takes up. I have heard of a few FFL/SOTs that do charge more if you are getting a very large MG like a Maxim or M2HB because it does take up so much more space. However this is done up front.

The other thing to remember is that people buying NFA items are serious collectors almost by its nature. They have serious amounts of money in firearms. Those are the people you want coming to your store, time and time again. So the idea of charging them a lot to transfer a NFA firearm may not be the best idea.

For example my FFL is transferring my M16 right now. He is not making a ton on it. However I am going to need a Suppressor for it... guess who I am going to buy that from?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    On a side note...

I had a very bad experience transferring one particular NFA items from Christian Soldier in Pikesville. The transfer basically took so long, I cancelled it and so he owed me $200 back from the tax stamp that I paid him for and he returned to ATF. That minus another $100 to transfer the MG to another dealer. So he owed me $100 refund. He admitted he owed me the money. He then tried to say his fee had gone up to $150 to transfer, however his website said $100. So he tried to charge me for storage, which I called BS on as he never said anything about it at the time of the deal and he was the reason the deal took 4 years!!! to resolve. So then he gave me some crap about how he earned it for a 45 min trip to USPS. After all that was shot down, he said he would mail me a check in one of those tones where you know he had no intention of ever doing so. Its been about a year and the thief still has not returned my money!

So they do complain about space eventually and if they are scumbags trying to rip you off.... of course the problem I had was that it did not take up enough space, being just a registered sideplate, smaller than a sheet of paper and less than 1/4" thick. Had it been big and bulky he would have actually been helpful and tried to complete the transfer for me instead of sitting on his ass for 3 years.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    NFA dealers know the process will take months. They usually charge you for it upfront. For example, a rifle transfer may be $25 (storing it only until you pick up), $50 handgun (Storing to you pick up and 7 days after that) and $100 NFA transfer. Storing for around 9 months.

Isn't that more like 4-6 months?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Haha you probably account for a couple days of that delay at least though.

I have been following the E-File thread and it looked like it was averaging around 3 months.

I only have 6 items working in the system now. :). And E-file is not an option for me. I don't use a trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom