• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    How is the deployment speed? I know that the blade is really thick and heavy and it comes out kind of sluggishly.

I actually think the zt200 is faster because it's non-assisted. You can control how fast it opens by how forcefully you flick the flipper.

Gladius

Plinker
    May 21, 2012
    Silver Spring
    A cheap Boker Magnum in winter camo.

I plan on getting a good Benchmade or Spyderco but I probably wont EDC it. I don't mind thumping on my cheap Boker.

opplanet-boker-usa-magnum-winter-camo-folding-knife-01ry136-main.jpg

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    How is the deployment speed? I know that the blade is really thick and heavy and it comes out kind of sluggishly.

I actually think the zt200 is faster because it's non-assisted. You can control how fast it opens by how forcefully you flick the flipper.

I think the blade snaps out with some authority, you know, inertia, mass and all that kind of science stuff...:innocent0

I think it deploys just as quickly as any of the other Ken Onion designed "speed assist" flippers.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD

Surprisingly fast.

Of course, a competent user can open a manual folder as quick or quicker than anything short of perhaps something such as the Microtech Makora or QD Scarab.

In terms of speed, it isn't much different than the G10 CPM-S30V Kershaw Spec Bump although the ZT is a better knife in every way except perhaps blade geometry as that's more personal preference. It isn't as fast as a Chive or something as the blade has more physical travel given it's over twice the size. For such a thick blade and such a tough knife, it moves surprisingly fast. I agree with you a user who is good with a 200 can deploy it faster as flippers can be quite fast. IIRC you can remove the assist on at least the first generation 30x's to turn it into a flipper without torsion bar assist but I am not sure about the 35x. The Emerson Wave feature is arguably the fastest of all deployment methods and without a doubt the fastest in terms of going from pocketed to deployed for usage. The speed of deployment is IMO impressive as is the total package. It's a kick ass EDC if you are considering something that is, more or less, designed for heavy usage, you'll love it.

The ZT0300/0301/0302 is another story. It suffers a lot more as the knife itself is beefier. The 10% larger size isn't the cause but the 26-ish% thicker blade is as is the heavier locking bar as it uses a different type of lock with a thicker locking bar, a different pivot system, and more tension. The larger pivot likely also slows the speed some, even with the newer washer system they have started to use (I'm yet to take one apart). With that said, the oversized thumb studs mean a large bulk of the time users will add their own inertia using either that and/or a wrist movement designed to speed the opening. The blade thickness is unusually thick for a folding knife and the blade's width and tapering are also unusually beefy. Considering it's a blade hefty enough to pry and baton with and use it in the fashion that would normally destroy a folder, it moves reasonably fast. It's a heavy, heavy blade. The only spring system that is faster IMO is the Benchmade Auto Axis, which can propel a few of Benchmade's tactical folders with blades of equal thickness at an impressive speed. Their recent Sibert Auto Axis is fast like a bat out of hell and a phenomenal cutter with an amazing handle/blade design. Microtech's older double action Socoms were also fast and had a blade of similar thickness. However, the Auto-Axis, as tough as it is, cannot withstand the abuse the 030x series can and it is made with edge retention favored over impact resistance and Microtech's liner lock + plunge combo is nowhere near as tough as the Axis or Reeve Integral Lock...so all are really different knives, but all with impressive deployment capabilities.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Surprisingly fast.

Of course, a competent user can open a manual folder as quick or quicker than anything short of perhaps something such as the Microtech Makora or QD Scarab.

In terms of speed, it isn't much different than the G10 CPM-S30V Kershaw Spec Bump although the ZT is a better knife in every way except perhaps blade geometry as that's more personal preference. It isn't as fast as a Chive or something as the blade has more physical travel given it's over twice the size. For such a thick blade and such a tough knife, it moves surprisingly fast. I agree with you a user who is good with a 200 can deploy it faster as flippers can be quite fast. IIRC you can remove the assist on at least the first generation 30x's to turn it into a flipper without torsion bar assist but I am not sure about the 35x. The Emerson Wave feature is arguably the fastest of all deployment methods and without a doubt the fastest in terms of going from pocketed to deployed for usage. The speed of deployment is IMO impressive as is the total package. It's a kick ass EDC if you are considering something that is, more or less, designed for heavy usage, you'll love it.

The ZT0300/0301/0302 is another story. It suffers a lot more as the knife itself is beefier. The 10% larger size isn't the cause but the 26-ish% thicker blade is as is the heavier locking bar as it uses a different type of lock with a thicker locking bar, a different pivot system, and more tension. The larger pivot likely also slows the speed some, even with the newer washer system they have started to use (I'm yet to take one apart). With that said, the oversized thumb studs mean a large bulk of the time users will add their own inertia using either that and/or a wrist movement designed to speed the opening. The blade thickness is unusually thick for a folding knife and the blade's width and tapering are also unusually beefy. Considering it's a blade hefty enough to pry and baton with and use it in the fashion that would normally destroy a folder, it moves reasonably fast. It's a heavy, heavy blade. The only spring system that is faster IMO is the Benchmade Auto Axis, which can propel a few of Benchmade's tactical folders with blades of equal thickness at an impressive speed. Their recent Sibert Auto Axis is fast like a bat out of hell and a phenomenal cutter with an amazing handle/blade design. Microtech's older double action Socoms were also fast and had a blade of similar thickness. However, the Auto-Axis, as tough as it is, cannot withstand the abuse the 030x series can and it is made with edge retention favored over impact resistance and Microtech's liner lock + plunge combo is nowhere near as tough as the Axis or Reeve Integral Lock...so all are really different knives, but all with impressive deployment capabilities.

The 300 and 350 series truly are "assisted opening", unlike a side folding auto where there is spring tension from 0 to around 120 degrees out of 180, the 300 doesn't get a boost till it is at least 45 degrees open, then it only pulls it open to about 120 degrees and momentum carries it the rest. The 350 has a detent between the liner lock bar and blade to keep the blade closed more securely, the 300 doesn't. To remove the torsion bar from a 300, you need to drill a detent hole, or else nothing will hold the blade closed. When opening you have to overcome the tension the lock bar and detent are holding the blade closed with, and once it pops past it, the blade is moving quick even before ir reaches the springs arc, and it is pretty fast. The 300 has a heavy blade, no detent to build tension on, and the DLC on both sides of the phosphor bronze washers(350s have DLC on the blade, but the liners are bare, and are slicker), so it needs to break in and smooth out the coating contacting the washer. Once a 300 has some miles on it far faster than when new, although the benefit of not having a detent hole(does have a ball to reduce friction while opening)is that it is smoother, and the initial opening motion is easier. Most that compare speed of something like a 560 or 200 are probably flicking it, where the 300 or 350 they are comparing it to is held steady and just pushing the flipper, flick both, and the spring assist is faster. If you flip the blade down in a reverse grip, the 300 opens lightning fast. The spring also all but guarantees the knife will open and the lock will engage, where even the awesome KVT system can still fall short of locking. Emerson's wave is about as fast as something can go from pocket to open, problem is the pivot is plastic bushings, not phosphor bronze or bearings, so it can fall just shy of locking unless you really jack it open hard, or leave the blade a bit loose, spydercos with it are usually smoother, and easier to snag and wave. Add underground blades, older steel technology, and less than perfect fit, and even though I own Emersons, IMO they aren't worth what most pay for them.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    The 300 and 350 series truly are "assisted opening", unlike a side folding auto where there is spring tension from 0 to around 120 degrees out of 180, the 300 doesn't get a boost till it is at least 45 degrees open, then it only pulls it open to about 120 degrees and momentum carries it the rest. The 350 has a detent between the liner lock bar and blade to keep the blade closed more securely, the 300 doesn't. To remove the torsion bar from a 300, you need to drill a detent hole, or else nothing will hold the blade closed. When opening you have to overcome the tension the lock bar and detent are holding the blade closed with, and once it pops past it, the blade is moving quick even before ir reaches the springs arc, and it is pretty fast. The 300 has a heavy blade, no detent to build tension on, and the DLC on both sides of the phosphor bronze washers(350s have DLC on the blade, but the liners are bare, and are slicker), so it needs to break in and smooth out the coating contacting the washer. Once a 300 has some miles on it far faster than when new, although the benefit of not having a detent hole(does have a ball to reduce friction while opening)is that it is smoother, and the initial opening motion is easier. Most that compare speed of something like a 560 or 200 are probably flicking it, where the 300 or 350 they are comparing it to is held steady and just pushing the flipper, flick both, and the spring assist is faster. If you flip the blade down in a reverse grip, the 300 opens lightning fast. The spring also all but guarantees the knife will open and the lock will engage, where even the awesome KVT system can still fall short of locking. Emerson's wave is about as fast as something can go from pocket to open, problem is the pivot is plastic bushings, not phosphor bronze or bearings, so it can fall just shy of locking unless you really jack it open hard, or leave the blade a bit loose, spydercos with it are usually smoother, and easier to snag and wave. Add underground blades, older steel technology, and less than perfect fit, and even though I own Emersons, IMO they aren't worth what most pay for them.

While I own Emersons as well, I agree 100% Emerson's steel has always bothered me as has their usage of liner versus frame locks, lack of a good washer or detent system, mediocre blade grinds, and lack of steel options. While a good liner is a strong lock, it's tendency to malfunction when dirty makes it poorly suited for heavy duty folders. They're good knives, but pricy and in a world of high end knives better priced. ZT makes a better knife at a lower price. Emerson's usage of CPM-154 doesn't bother me given it's a good steel but outrageously priced...good steel for a weapon given all-around properties...especially impact resistance, but better steels exist. A 154 Emerson is more expensive than most folders in things like CPM-M4, 110v, or ZDP-189. Spyderco did Emerson's own wave better than Emerson...the D4/E4 and Matriarch are superior relative to price points and the wave feature works better with a back lock over a liner IMO. ZT and Chris Reeve's use of slotted and indented PB washers to function as a dry sump system with the usage of a fluoropolymer grease really positioned them ahead of most 'tactical' folders. The 300, and Umnumzaan really overtook the market for super-high-end tactical folders and the 350 really overtook the market of high-end, budget-priced knives capable of withstanding substantial abuse. Its upped the bar...hopefully Emerson will make a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom