• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Does anyone know the story about Cold Steel (no relation) and CTS XHP? It had a good reputation as a knife steel, but then, poof! It was gone. The story I heard was that CTS felt that that the knife company just couldn't buy enough of it's product to be profitable; so the decision was CTS’s, not Cold Steel's. Another take was that CTS priced its steel out of CS’s budget, forcing CS to buying other steels.

These CS Pro-Lites came wickedly sharp. I still have them.

I bought a bunch of knives with XHP blades and don't know whether I should hang onto them as collector's pieces or should I use them? Even after going to other steels with other models, CS continued to produce its BROKEN SKULL series of moderately priced knives with CTS XHP steel. And though I carry mine many times and really like it, I still really like my older AUS8-blade knives, as well as my older 440A CS knives.

Some knives are discreet, while others not so much.

Years ago, I bought a few name brand knives with 440A blades and I couldn't sharpen them worth a damn. And out of the boxes they wouldn't cut at all. But when I bought the CS Night Force and other knives, they came very sharp and were easy to sharpen!

The steels were the same, yet CS’s heat treat made the knife. The CTS XHP is said to be a great steel, but was it a super steel? My daily carry knife is a BROKEN SKULL. I've had it for several years now and have yet to sharpen it. Does any other knife company use it and did it have any downsides?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom