• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I bought an EoTech 512 holographic sight a little while ago when PSA had them on sale. I hadn't mounted it on a rifle until Sunday when I took my guns out of the safe to inspect/clean. I also bought one of those really cheap EoTech 512 Chinese knock offs to use on my BB gun or airsoft gun, but to replicate the 512. The real 512 seems to have a blurry, grainy reticle, while the knock off is crisp and clear. The knock off has tinted glass, so it isn't as clear as the EoTech, but the targeting reticle is much, much more clear. I didn't have my contacts in, had my glasses on, so it wasn't my contacts causing the blur, and I don't think my astigmatism is bad with my glasses on. Is this normal for an EoTech? I'll try to get some side by side pics here in a little while.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    So, I bought an EoTech 512 holographic sight a little while ago when PSA had them on sale. I hadn't mounted it on a rifle until Sunday when I took my guns out of the safe to inspect/clean. I also bought one of those really cheap EoTech 512 Chinese knock offs to use on my BB gun or airsoft gun, but to replicate the 512. The real 512 seems to have a blurry, grainy reticle, while the knock off is crisp and clear. The knock off has tinted glass, so it isn't as clear as the EoTech, but the targeting reticle is much, much more clear. I didn't have my contacts in, had my glasses on, so it wasn't my contacts causing the blur, and I don't think my astigmatism is bad with my glasses on. Is this normal for an EoTech? I'll try to get some side by side pics here in a little while.
    Are you astigmatic by any chance?

The real eotech is a holographic sight. The knockoff is actually a red dot.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have astigmatism and most red dots don’t work for me. Holographics like the Eotech tend to work much better for me. That said, I know people where the opposite is true.

Take your phone camera and put it up to the eye relief. Does it appear crisp through the camera lense?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Normal. The reticle is fuzzy on all EoT's if you focus on it. Focus on the target and that effect mostly goes away.
    As above, if you focus on the reticle, it goes grainy. If you focus on the target, the reticle sharpens up and is fine.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Put a magnifier on it. It will look amazing. Mine was the same way. I thought it was messed up until I put a 3X magnifier on it and it was crystal clear and in focus. I think it's the nature of the beast.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Put a magnifier on it. It will look amazing. Mine was the same way. I thought it was messed up until I put a 3X magnifier on it and it was crystal clear and in focus. I think it's the nature of the beast.
    Because the magnifier is focused on the target.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have astigmatism and most red dots don’t work for me. Holographics like the Eotech tend to work much better for me.

That said, I know people where the opposite is true.

Really ? I though it was inherent with the nature of Astigmatism . Could there be other similar- ish conditions ?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Because the magnifier is focused on the target.
    True, in order to use the holdover dots you really need to use a magnifier or the little dots are just blurry. The left image is what the reticle looks like normally with no magnification. The one on the right is what mine looked like with the 3X. I had a EXPS3 though. I sold it for a Romeo 5.
    1690376357019.png
    1690376368625.jpeg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Before my eye surgery, I had increasingly severe astigmatism. Red dots were fragented and I just had to pick the brightest clump to use as a reference. My EOTechs were almost impossible to use past about 25 yards.

I had the lenses replaced in both eyes to correct cataracts and the astigmatism, and my vision is mostly corrected. Now, dots are much better, not perfect but quite usable. The EOTechs are now usable as well, but not quite as much improvement as the dots.

Sirex