• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Midway got Sm Pistol primers in and I snagged a few boxes. More than i needs so not hoarding them, I'm gonna try to trade for powder that i can use in my 9mms.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I purchased, 3000, I pretty much only wanted 1000 at first. I'm listed in the classified to trade primers for powder which I will do when they come in. I should have got more cause I now need to barter for small rifle primers to reload my dad's new AR.

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    I've got Tula small rifle primers and they work fine... Haven't had a single non-fire yet and i've been through a couple thousand. Rounds look kinda cool too because the primers are copper colored.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have 1k CCI SP and haven't had any issues I bought 3k of the Winchester Magnum SP but I haven't used any of them yet.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Im getting ready...soon :-) to get into relodaing...and want to get some primers ahead of time...for say....9mm..what size do I need...then for .40cal...and .45acp...?

Thanks for any help u guys can provide...

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    Small pistol Primers for the 9mm and .40 I am not sure about .45ACP if that falls into the large pistol category.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Most .45 is large pistol but more and more there are small pistol primed .45, something to pay attention to when sorting your brass.

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    Im getting ready...soon :-) to get into relodaing...and want to get some primers ahead of time...for say....9mm..what size do I need...then for .40cal...and .45acp...?

Thanks for any help u guys can provide...

9mm Luger and .40 s&w use small pistol primers, .45 acp is usually large pistol primers but sometimes small pistol primers, you can easily tell the difference visually and you'll have to separate the two before priming. Also be sure to use/buy standard primers and not magnum primers.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    Sorry to Hi-Jack, But I have heard many times on different forums that the Magnums don't make much difference if you are not loading the max loads? So My question is this:
    Is this correct or is it user preference? What will it do if used in conjunction with minimum loads? and Maximum loads? I have also read that magnum primers can be substituted for a grain of powder? I am no where near leaning towards maxing out my loads, call me a safety conscious But that is my comfort level for now. Thanks for any advice.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I have loaded a coupla hundred 9mm with SPM primers when I was just starting to load, not because I didn't know any better, but because they were free. I just went down a bit with my loads and never had an issue. HOWEVER, I will never do it again, there are some lessons that don't need to be learned when shi* gets bad. Just not worth the risk of it to me.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Sorry to Hi-Jack, But I have heard many times on different forums that the Magnums don't make much difference if you are not loading the max loads? So My question is this:
    Is this correct or is it user preference? What will it do if used in conjunction with minimum loads? and Maximum loads? I have also read that magnum primers can be substituted for a grain of powder? I am no where near leaning towards maxing out my loads, call me a safety conscious But that is my comfort level for now. Thanks for any advice.

I can tell you this user's decided preference. I don't have the lab, the pressure testing equipment, or the expertise that the component manufacturers have. So I think it prudent to suppose that extensively tested and published industry load combinations will be more predictable than someone else's "mights and maybes."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom