• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maybe I blinked . What new Ranges in lower MoCo ?

And I am a definite outlier in that I am happy to drive two hours to shoot outdoors in an environment
    [/QUOTE]

Which ( perhaps inadvertently ) touches another Fundimental issue . Range access ( travel time ) in Modern Era Maryland .

4g64 stakes out two hours ( each way ? ) .

A poster in another thread opines that if more than 30 minutes , he'd just as soon sell all his guns .

What is Reasonable ? What is Typical ? What would attract new / post lay off shooters ? ( Parameters - You live in portion of the state where 85% of the population lives , and you can't extensively shoot at home .)

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm sure he will. Don't know the guy. Ranges are a PITA to get started and keep running. I hate to see any of them not make it.

Here in LSD, prior to a few months ago (before Best Guns in Lewes opened), we had to drive 45 minutes+ to the indoor range in Dover or 30 to Georgetown to shoot outdoors with the cats and mosquitos.

It's for the best that both they and MDS don't alienate each other.
    I agree, adit.

I have only shot outdoors on private property and at outdoor ranges at gun clubs I belonged to.
    Jefferson Sportsman in Pa has an indoor range but it is for air and 22's only.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    Having Gilberts in my backyard is absolutely invaluable as it allows me to practice close to home and not waste hours driving around.

Thank you mr. Gilbert. All the best to ya and your employees.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If you have all day to check in, buy overpriced ammo, then another day to spend checking out, it's OK. Worst customer service of any range I've been to.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Aah yes, good ole Select Fire. I didn’t find it so bad. I use to go Sunday evenings and it was often not crowded then. But I have better options now.

I really like the changes Cindy’s made to the place.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Aah yes, good ole Select Fire. I didn’t find it so bad. I use to go Sunday evenings and it was often not crowded then. But I have better options now.

I really like the changes Cindy’s made to the place.
    I guess I've gotten spoiled by AGC - I'd much rather go out there than to the indoor ranges here in central Maryland, but I do have to submit that there's a level of PITA that goes with going out to AGC. I think the thing that really pushed me to go to AGC, and to avoid Cindy's or (at the time) On Target is that I don't like to wait. Even at its busiest, I have never had an issue getting a lane at AGC. I also think that I save money in the long run.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    You could shoot machines guns there at Select Fire without too much issue. I think that was the main reason until The Machine Gun Nest opened up. Much closer to me.

I don’t like waiting either. I’ll drive 2 hrs to Delmarva Sporting Clays for example over going to Hap Baker, for example.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I guess I've gotten spoiled by AGC - I'd much rather go out there than to the indoor ranges here in central Maryland, but I do have to submit that there's a level of PITA that goes with going out to AGC. I think the thing that really pushed me to go to AGC, and to avoid Cindy's or (at the time) On Target is that I don't like to wait. Even at its busiest, I have never had an issue getting a lane at AGC. I also think that I save money in the long run.

Totally this. I like not having to worry about being on the clock. I usually go when I have a couple hours with nothing to do. Shoot a little. Chill and enjoy being outside, shoot some more. No rush and like you said, no wait.

Only thing that sucks sometimes is carrying all the gear, target stand, etc.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    Not picking on StanleyG , but that's Gilbert's business strategy right there .
    I'm afraid I have to disagree. The staff is friendly and helpful; the classes are great, and so are the instructors. Again, Gilberts is a club, and you get nice perks if you are a member. The zombie nights are fantastic. Let 1000 flowers bloom, I say, and better have a place like Gilberts in my backyard than not. They even let you shoot rifles and shotguns ( though I don't know why anyone would do that in a small indoor range.. I mean, what is the point of shooting a rifle at 20 yards?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Realistically, function testing for rifles . But could be a meaningful distance to compare HD buckshot patterns .

You're pleased with them , good for you , enjoy !

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Whenever I hear complaint posts about ranges it is when someone goes during a real busy time. I've been by Gilbert's when they weren't busy, and the staff was always very attentive and helpful.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    trickg,

Thank you for your sound advice and the insight into your savvy outlook on operating a business.

From your statements you really have no clue and way off base on the motivation for the free open house for volunteers. You obviously do not have the volunteer mindset, and you probably have never donated any of your time to help the community on a regular basis. And, it is not about the money!

Please share your crystal ball to predict the staff needed and to make it pretty simple for me too.
    Sir, my 2 cents: Your responses here don't really serve your business well, or enhance your reputation in the shooting community. Most business owners would not go off half-cocked on the poster, but look to mollify their angst and at least pretend to care about their customer experience. And in reading the responses from some members here, I think you've lost some customers. Not me though. I never was. No dog in this fight. I am a member of a private range/club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom