• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which is the better choice for a beginner?

• Savage MkII F

Votes: 4 40.0%
    • Savage MkII FV

Votes: 5 50.0%
    • Other (please specify in thread)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Jan 15, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hey everyone, I'm shopping for my first firearm and I'm leaning towards the Savage MkII. I really like the synthetic stock and blued barrel so that brings me to the F and FV (FV-SR is beyond my budget atm). My question is whether the FV is worth the extra $70 (based on MSRP)? As far as I can tell the only advantage of the FV is a bull barrel (hope thats the correct term), while the cheaper F has higher ammo capacity and provisions for a scope. Do I really need the bull barrel for general sport shooting or can I put that money into decent glass and ammo?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIF

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFV

Also, if anyone has other suggestions for a first gun I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    I have a FV myself. Since you mentioned glass, that's what I'd recommend because FV comes with scope bases. FV also takes the standard Savage 10-round magazine, so that's not an issue.

If you mostly plink with iron sights, F would be more suitable.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Yes the bull barrel is worth every penny.

but if money is tight the the less expense one is fine if you are just starting off.

Does the one with the bull barrel come with open sights?

If it needs a scope add about $75 for scope and rings.

Natchez has good scopes at low prices

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I vote F for the following reasons:

1. Sounds like you are just learning to shoot rifle. Having the option of open sites gives you more ways to learn sight alignment and sight picture.

2. Less expensive = more money for ammo. The best way to get better is to learn from others who know and who have your respect and then shoot. and shoot. and shoot.

3. The F is tapped for a scope so its not like you can't put a scope on it. If you buy the FV you have to buy a scope too. If you buy the F you can shoot same day.

I have the Mk II BTV and its a great trainer. The heavy barrel helps with accuracy but with 22lr its not as big a deal IMHO.

Kotyaer

Jan 14, 2012
    ESVA
    I hate to recommend my former employer, but I'm unsure if other businesses carry it in-store.

Now, I'm not going to name names, but when I worked for a certain sporting goods store, whose name happens to rhyme with Pricks... We sold a rifle called the Mark II FVXP.

Buds Gun Shop has it here:
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24150

I agree to having iron sites for someone getting into shooting, but the rifle as it comes (5 rd mag, cable lock, ear buds (one use, maybe two out of those), rifle, rings, and scope) isn't a bad deal at all.

The only things I changed on mine were the rings (i had some cantilevered mounts which I liked the aesthetics on, that were just holding a surefire to a paintball gun), and I tossed a cheap-o bipod on it.

The glass it comes with isn't the best, but it's certainly usable. Using the .22 at 100 yds you won't be seeing much of anything with your hits anyway, unless you go for a higher magnification optic.

At DSC, I was able to (with about a 2 foot holdover on a 50yd zero) hit the steel plate that was set out at 200 yds fairly consistently. I could barely see the damn thing, but I could hear the hits. This rifle is very capable with the bull barrel.

I'm planning on going to DSC this weekend (depending on how nipply it is) and will be bringing it with me. Let me know if you want to check it out before you buy one.

Just saw that you live in Frederick... DSC is almost 3 hours away. Offer still stands, but I don't know if you're going to want to drive that far to tool around with a .22, lol.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    FV.

It was the first gun I ever bought. Got it with the laminated walnut thumbhole stock. Put a 6-12x scope on it and away I go. Brutally accurate but heavy. Definitely a bench gun. Needs a bi-pod or shooting rest. Simply too heavy to be effectively shot from a standing position in my humble opinion.

IamJoe

Oct 6, 2011
    La Plata
    First Rifle MK II

If you're getting the .22 and not the .17, go with the MK II F, the tapered barrel. Save the money on the barrel and either get tech sights, about $75.00, or a scope, base and rings, about $100.00. I have a MK II GL (lefty) with tech sights and I love it. The accu-trigger is wonderful. The bull barrel on the Savage is not drilled for a front sight, so you need a scope if you go that route.

Magazines for the MK II are available in 5 and 10 round capacity in Maryland, up to 30 rounds elsewhere. The mags come in stainless or blued. The blued 10 round mags are about $15 or less and the stainless a bit less than twice that.

Have you looked at the Marlin 795, about $135.00. It's light, it has a heavy tapered barrel, synthetic stock, 10 round magazine, and swivel studs. The worst thing in the Marlin is the trigger pull is heavy. Extra 10 round mags are about $20 or less.

see http://www.tech-sights.com/

Jan 15, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm leaning towards the MkII F at the moment. Not only is it cheaper, but I didn't even consider the lack of iron sights on the FV. I really don't like being locked into using a scope. I'll still get one either way, but I'd like to be able to practice without it.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    .22lr won't really matter much...but the FV rifles barrels make it look really sweet.
    all my rifle barrels are heavy barrels...but one (medium)

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Mk-II FVT

This kinda reminds me of the Republican presidential primaries this year -- my preferred options are not on the ballot. :sad20:

I would consider the Mk-II FVT. It comes with the bull-barrel (mandatory, IMHO, if you're shooting to develop skills for accuracy), Williams aperture sights (also valuable for learning to shoot), and the ability to easily add scope-bases down the road.

I dunno whether you have access to a CMP-affiliated Club but, if you do, and if you shoot with kids for youth-training purposes, the CMP has a good deal on the FVTs at only $238 shipped. The stock is an inch shorter than standard, as appropriate for youth-shooters, but can be adjusted with an add-on buttpad.

If you do not qualify for the CMP's offer, GunsAmerica has one right now for $339.

A new shooter should start off with the VERY BEST firearm that he/she can afford, even if it means saving-up for another month or two. An experienced shooter can compensate for a marginal gun, but a neophyte needs to be confident that, when the target is being missed, the problem is NOT with his equipment. Just my 2-cents.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I think fv-sr. Only like 20 or so more than fv, can comes with threaded barrel, and larger, more comfortable bolt handle. Just my opinion though. I dig mine.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think fv-sr. Only like 20 or so more than fv, can comes with threaded barrel, and larger, more comfortable bolt handle. Just my opinion though. I dig mine.
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised that the OP ruled out this option. Maybe he meant that the TRR-SR was out of his range?

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised that the OP ruled out this option. Maybe he meant that the TRR-SR was out of his range?

I mean, if he ever wanted a threaded barrel or aftermarket handle, the long term cost would be at least 100$ more than just getting an fv-sr. Mine was under 300 after sbipping and transfer.

JRILE

Jan 9, 2011
    Rising Sun, MD
    Hmm...I'd go with the one with iron sights. I have a Savage with only the scope mounts and its sucks, because i like shooting iron sights.

Jan 15, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I know the FV-SR isn't that much more than the FV but the MSRP is over $300 and I just can't bring myself to spend that much on my first gun. I really just want something cheap and fun to shoot, work on, and build my comfort level. I think the F will fit the bill and leave some cash left over for a scope, case, ammo, range time, etc. Plus I really like having the option of using iron sights or the scope, rather than being forced to use the scope every time.

Thanks for the input!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm leaning towards the MkII F at the moment. Not only is it cheaper, but I didn't even consider the lack of iron sights on the FV. I really don't like being locked into using a scope. I'll still get one either way, but I'd like to be able to practice without it.

Go with this. Get VERY proficient with iron sights before even thinking about a scope.

Jan 15, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I don't mean to bump a dead thread, but I figured I'd follow up incase anyone was interested. Much to my suprise, my friends got me a Savage MkII F as an early wedding present! I can't thank them enough and I finally have my first firearm :thumbsup:

SavageMkII.jpg

I've only been able to get to the range once, but I loved it and hope to get back within the next couple weeks. I don't have much frame of reference, but FWIW the AccuTrigger is fantastic! It really has a nice, crisp feel and is a joy to shoot. This gun will be with me for a long, long time. Thanks to everyone for their input; I look forward to meeting some of you as I get sucked more into this hobby.

Now I just need a Ruger 22/45, 10/22, Mini-14, MP5 .22lr, 1911, Mosin Nagant 91/30, AR15... Crap, this is going to get out of hand :lol:

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    -Snip
    Magazines for the MK II are available in 5 and 10 round capacity in Maryland, up to 30 rounds elsewhere. snip-

Totally just realized this was said. Where have you found 30 rounders for this thing?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I know the FV-SR isn't that much more than the FV but the MSRP is over $300 and I just can't bring myself to spend that much on my first gun. I really just want something cheap and fun to shoot, work on, and build my comfort level. I think the F will fit the bill and leave some cash left over for a scope, case, ammo, range time, etc. Plus I really like having the option of using iron sights or the scope, rather than being forced to use the scope every time.

Thanks for the input!

I got my FV-SR locally for $280. Ofcourse at this point it has way more than $280 in it. It's a sweet suppressor host and just an all around fun gun to shoot.
    IMAG0149.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom