• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I have a bunch of Xtreme 123 gr plated flat point .312s that I'd like to reload for a lever action 30-30.

I figured I would size it to .308" and handload reduced loads using trailboss to stay in plated velocity limits.

Is it safe to use flat points in tube feds? Any input and comments are welcomed. Thanks

eKXlgET.jpg

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Absolutely they are safe - they are the only (ONLY) style projectile I would personally consider loading in a tube-fed rifle.

In other words, Do NOT use pointy (spire tip) bullets in a tube magazine where the possibility of bullet A striking the primer of round B would get exciting.

YMMV. IANAL.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Are those FMJ or copper washed. Just know that the Xtreme copper washed have a velocity limit to them.
    The buyer of my winchester 94 noticed that my use of the copper washed flat points copper lined the bore and affected accuracy till he removed the copper.
    Flat points are ideal for Tube fed levers as mentioned above

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Are those FMJ or copper washed. Just know that the Xtreme copper washed have a velocity limit to them.
    The buyer of my winchester 94 noticed that my use of the copper washed flat points copper lined the bore and affected accuracy till he removed the copper.
    Flat points are ideal for Tube fed levers as mentioned above

They are copper plated projectiles that I reserve for reduced loads. I've only experienced copper fouling out of the copper washed steel-cased stuff I shoot out of my ruger american 7.62x39mm. Funnily enough, shooting a couple of reduced loads with these plated boolits out of the ruger clears out the copper fouling.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Absolutely they are safe - they are the only (ONLY) style projectile I would personally consider loading in a tube-fed rifle.

In other words, Do NOT use pointy (spire tip) bullets in a tube magazine where the possibility of bullet A striking the primer of round B would get exciting.

YMMV. IANAL.

Would be like a vertical chain fire of sorts; instead of a rotary one. Very exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom