Form 1 - how does the CLEO process work now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    So I'm efiling a Form 1 to SBR a gun. Both the individual and trust options require CLEO info (I thought trust negated CLEO?). There are threads on here that talk about mailing or bringing your Form 1 to your CLEO for signature but I'm confused by this since I am e-filing with ATF.

Does ATF get CLEO approval or am I supposed to do something?

For CLEO info is this now the correct info?

Lt. Colonel Roland L. Butler Jr., Acting Superintendent
    Maryland State Police
    1201 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208-3899

Colonel Woodrow W. “Jerry” Jones, III, retires: https://governor.maryland.gov/2022/... Lt.,2023 following Colonel Jones' retirement.

I'm just very unclear about how the CLEO approval works and what exactly I'm supposed to do for this. Your insight would be appreciated.

So I'm efiling a Form 1 to SBR a gun. Both the individual and trust options require CLEO info (I thought trust negated CLEO?). There are threads on here that talk about mailing or bringing your Form 1 to your CLEO for signature but I'm confused by this since I am e-filing with ATF.

Does ATF get CLEO approval or am I supposed to do something?

For CLEO info is this now the correct info?

Lt. Colonel Roland L. Butler Jr., Acting Superintendent
    Maryland State Police
    1201 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208-3899

Colonel Woodrow W. “Jerry” Jones, III, retires: https://governor.maryland.gov/2022/11/16/governor-hogan-announces-maryland-state-police-superintendent-colonel-jerry-jones-to-retire-names-lt-colonel-roland-butler-as-acting-superintendent/#:~:text=Become Acting Superintendent-,The governor has named Lt.,2023 following Colonel Jones' retirement.

I'm just very unclear about how the CLEO approval works and what exactly I'm supposed to do for this. Your insight would be appreciated.
    Chief of police in your jurisdiction, not MSP.
    It is to inform only. No response needed.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Can I use MSP still instead of my local jurisdiction? I'm in the city. I don't want to send them info about me.
    Plenty of people have sent it to MSP, but it really doesn't matter. Send it to your local police chief and don't worry about it.
    You don't need their approval, you're merely letting them know per federal law.
    Don't want to send them what info? They don't care, they're not going to use it for anything.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Plenty of people have sent it to MSP, but it really doesn't matter. Send it to your local police chief and don't worry about it.
    You don't need their approval, you're merely letting them know per federal law.
    Don't want to send them what info? They don't care, they're not going to use it for anything.

AH!! That is enlightening. So there's no CLEO approval process, it's just CLEO notification. I can live with that. MSP already has my registration so telling them something is SBR'd doesn't matter to me. Now I understand this is just a LEO FYI, not seeking approval - so thank you gents! Much appreciated!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    AH!! That is enlightening. So there's no CLEO approval process, it's just CLEO notification. I can live with that. MSP already has my registration so telling them something is SBR'd doesn't matter to me. Now I understand this is just a LEO FYI, not seeking approval - so thank you gents! Much appreciated!
    Correct, it was changed several years ago. Before you needed CLEO approval which many local jurisdictions would not do but the MSP would so people would send them there.

MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    Form 1, Instruction 2.H reads "The Chief Law Enforcement Officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor".
    So take your pick.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    In my case I used the County Sheriff, since that's what Silence Central used with my form 4's. I used the 24 Month Exception letter based on those eForm4s to lessen the paperwork for my eForm 1, so I matched the CLEO info that Silencer Central used and just mailed them the copy of the signed "Responsible Persons" form as required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom