Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Found caps while up in Pittsbugh
    gander Mt near Hotel I'm staying until Monday
    10 & 11 caps are $8 and musket caps are clearance at $3
    No limits and they had more
    I was there looking for reloading supplies but now I have found caps I can finally look at a traditional BP
    Going to a show tomorrow

Attachments

• image-2583799357.jpg
      image-2583799357.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 125

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    each.
    Considering I can't find them anywhere down home, I got some to get started.
    Are you finding caps out there?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    each.
    Considering I can't find them anywhere down home, I got some to get started.
    Are you finding caps out there?

I bought some while vacationing last summer in a small shop in Ivor Va. I didn't need them but I had to buy something since the guy was nice. Kid you not..... just under 4 bucks BUT if you gotta have them, beats holding a match over the nipple and blowing on it..........

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Threeband,
    What does that Lyman Great Plains we were talking about before like?

Thx for info

What uses the musket caps?

They also make musket nipples, to replace the No.11 nipples, on sidelocks and early inlines. When the first in-lines came out, 209 Primer ignition had not made it's debut.
    A lot of folks used to upgrade to musket nipples for a lot more spark. Transition over time to musket caps, inlines, 209 primers and better powders has allowed a lot of folks to get sloppy with their cleaning.
    A traditional sidelock, with No. 11 caps, is a very un-forgiving beast. Many deer have lived to see another day because folks weren't anal enough with their maintenance and cleaning.
    In some states (like Washington State) inlines, 209 Primers and scopes are illegal. The added challenge is why they make folks use these style of B/P guns. There, they make the best of what they have to get the most spark.
    The tin of No. 10 caps you have is for handguns (black powder revolvers) like Ruger's Old Army.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Musket caps are also a LOT easier to pick up with cold or hurried fingers, because they are bigger and have those "wings".

The Lyman Great Plains Rifle (GPR) uses standard number 11 caps. I think 10s would work fine; I'm not sure of the difference.It's been years since I shot black powder, and then it was mainly muskets and revolvers. I recall some revolver caps needed pinching and some didn't.

Melnic, that .54 GPR kit is still available. Someone else PM'ed me about it, but I told him you have first refusal. Otherwise, I think I'll post it in the classifieds soon.

I ought to have a black powder day at the AGC soon, break out the old Threeband musket and some revolvers. You could try out the .50 GPR and look at the .54 kit.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    In Waldorf at Freds, they had CCI No11 for $7.99
    He said, yes, that is the new price, his price he pays for them went up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom