• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Wow I did not realize FA made dies for all these separately. Seems kind of a waste of money to buy all these dies. I haven't looked into FA much so not really sure how well respected it is in the industry. Lee and most other makers combine most of these steps into fewer dies.
    When you're reloading rifle in quantity, separating all the steps out is very, very handy.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    When you're reloading rifle in quantity, separating all the steps out is very, very handy.

I went to their website and also checked out a YouTube video on it. Looks pretty good. I didn't see where to get dies for it. They are not on FA's website. Does it use standard dies? Looks like it might but I wasn't aware you could get, for instance, just a deprimer die (without sizing).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I went to their website and also checked out a YouTube video on it. Looks pretty good. I didn't see where to get dies for it. They are not on FA's website. Does it use standard dies? Looks like it might but I wasn't aware you could get, for instance, just a deprimer die (without sizing).
    Yes, it uses standard dies. Plenty of people make decappers at various price ranges (including Lee). I like the FW Arms dies for decap and hold-down, even though they're expensive.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Decap, resize, prime, expand/bell, powder drop, powder cop, bullet feeder, seat, crimp. Add in trim for rifle and you're at ten. And I didn't get to ream primer pockets (not sure anyone has figured out how to do that in a progressive stage yet tho).
    The x-10 has a built in swage station

skeet 028

Apr 1, 2023
    Wy
    I happen to have 2 of the X-10 presses. Bought from a company...they sent two. Only charged for one. They offered a discount if I kept the second... So...I'm A sucker. That said the one I have set up(38 spec) loads fine but it is a bit picky. Not like a Lee progressive or whatever they call em but it will take a bit of using to get it set correctly. It is not a starter press. Once adjusted it works well....A bit more work than a Dillon 750. Primer system works well. It has 10 stations and likes having something in each die hole. It will swage primer pockets but I don't need that with the 38s. And I do most of my 223 swaging with case prep so it won't be a problem. I have done all my 223 on a 550 so when I set the 2nd up it will be a new experience. I don't have a bullet feeder yet but probably will with the 223s. We'll see when the time comes but I may set the 2nd in 44 sp. The press will take some learning...but I have used real progressive presses since ...well 50 years. So more than a little background. There is a X-10 group out there with a lot of info. Most of the ones I have seen are loading 9mm...which is a waste of time to me... Much better return on component investment with other rounds. 9s are priced pretty low. If you get a X-10take your time and watch how it works

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I happen to have 2 of the X-10 presses. Bought from a company...they sent two. Only charged for one. They offered a discount if I kept the second... So...I'm A sucker. That said the one I have set up(38 spec) loads fine but it is a bit picky. Not like a Lee progressive or whatever they call em but it will take a bit of using to get it set correctly. It is not a starter press. Once adjusted it works well....A bit more work than a Dillon 750. Primer system works well. It has 10 stations and likes having something in each die hole. It will swage primer pockets but I don't need that with the 38s. And I do most of my 223 swaging with case prep so it won't be a problem. I have done all my 223 on a 550 so when I set the 2nd up it will be a new experience. I don't have a bullet feeder yet but probably will with the 223s. We'll see when the time comes but I may set the 2nd in 44 sp. The press will take some learning...but I have used real progressive presses since ...well 50 years. So more than a little background. There is a X-10 group out there with a lot of info. Most of the ones I have seen are loading 9mm...which is a waste of time to me... Much better return on component investment with other rounds. 9s are priced pretty low. If you get a X-10take your time and watch how it works
    The reason these are attractive for 9mm is the on-press swaging plus . There's a lot of crimped primer pocket brass out there, and while you can generally stuff a primer into it, things operate more smoothly if you can get a swage step in. Competition revolver shooters also tend to need the primer in pretty deep, and being able to control primer depth is a big deal for them.

skeet 028

Apr 1, 2023
    Wy
    As far as 9mm I was addressing the fact that loading 9mm does not give a good return on the costs unless you load a lot. I have a Dillon Super 1050 and to recoup even the cost of the machine will take a lot of reloading. To save even a dollar fifty a box on 9mm including ROI of all necessary items needed will take a lot of loading...especially in light of today's cost of components and presses...and high end presses etc....Heck I still have 6 tons of lead to make bullets...Most was free to 10 cents a pound...ain't that way today...most buy theirs commercially at a minimum of 5 cents each. 6 cent primer 4 cents powder and 2 cent case 1 cent press maintenance/cost...minimum cost for a box of 9mm with lead bullets is about 9 dollars. Before the pandemic 9s cost me about 4.75 in bulk/JHPs too. buy a 2500 dollar or more machine today. ...Heck if I was starting now I wouldn't...but I am addicted to reloading...and I ain't alone, am I? Not just reloading either...I have at least 20,000 dollars worth of Colt SAA Python, Dback and 1911 parts too. one day I should sell them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom