• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    Just need a little clarification on this, if ya'll could review the facts as I understand them and correct me if I'm wrong, that'd be great.

Basically, I have a 10/22 that I want to sell. A friend from school has offered to buy it from me. I'm under the impression that as long as the buyer isn't otherwise prohibited from buying a gun in the first place, and they are a resident of MD, it's legal to sell a rifle (or shotgun) in FTF transaction.

Do I have everything right?

If so, I'm glad. I'll definitely be writing up a bill of sale to go along with it, just to cover my butt even more, lol.

Thanks!

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    Make photo copies of his license, and make sure to have a line on the bill of sale stating that he is not prohibited from buying a firearm in MD, and have him sign it

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    :thumbsup:

You got it, make sure you get a signed bill of sale that states something like "I am not prohibited in the state of MD from posessing firearms", as long as you have no reason to belive the person is prohibited, you are in the clear.

update: ahh, I see MDjamesD beat me to it

Last edited:

Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    Right. I was gonna list the serial of the rifle, the guy's name, address and DL # and have a little blurb about the "I'm not prohibited from buying this, so on and so forth.." and have him sign it.

Thanks ya'll.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Right. I was gonna list the serial of the rifle, the guy's name, address and DL # and have a little blurb about the "I'm not prohibited from buying this, so on and so forth.." and have him sign it.

Thanks ya'll.

That will work, i usually put "sold as is" somewhere in there too...little more C.Y.A.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    This is a rough copy of what I use when I do a FTF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill of Sale for a Rifle

Date of Sale

For and in consideration of (spell out price) ($000.00), cash in hand
    paid, and or other goods and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, the undersigned (seller name) of (seller address), hereafter called Seller, does hereby sell and transfer unto (buyer name) of (buyer address), hereafter called Buyer, the following described firearm, to-whit:

Make/Model:
    Caliber:
    Serial Number:
    Finish:
    Barrel:
    Action:
    Condition:
    Magazines:
    Seller’s Drivers License Number:
    Buyer’s Drivers License Number:

Seller warrants to Buyer that he/she has good and marketable title to said property, full authority to sell and transfer said property, and that said property if sold free of all liens, encumbrances, liabilities and adverse claims of every nature and description whatsoever. Said firearm is sold AS IS and current condition and Seller waives any express or implied warranty of fitness or merchantability.

The undersigned Buyer warrants that he/she is a citizen of the State Of Maryland, does not use illegal drugs, is not a fugitive from justice, is not a habitual drunkard, has never been 1) convicted of a Felony, misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or a misdemeanor that carries a statutory penalty of more than 2 years; and any violation classified as a common law offense regardless of sentence imposed or crime of domestic violence, 2) dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, 3) a “respondent” in a “final protective order” or some other similar order for protection, 4) is not currently under indictment, 5) adjudicated as mentally defective or confined to a mental institution, 6) is not currently under indictment or presently charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, 7) is not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm under State or Federal law.

Seller Signature Date

Buyer Signature Date

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    sbarber, if you don't mind I have put this into a .DOC file (except, I cut out some of the descriptive into and left just the make/model/caliber & serial#), so I can print it out and use it.

Anyone else who wants, you're free to use it - just remember "I'm not a lawyer" and you should read and understand and decide whether or not this is suitable for your own purposes.

This is a rough copy of what I use when I do a FTF

Attachments

• bill of sale.doc
      13 KB · Views: 443

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads